LegacyGT.com

Confused About chassis.

I've always wanted a Suby. I spotted a 1998 2.5GT Limited Legacy. I'm confused on what kind of legacy is it. I know it's BD but what's the number that follows behind it. I got info that it was a BD5 but BD5's didn't come with a 2.5 motor. Can anyone help me please. And yes I know I'm going to get flamed for this so bad.:spin:

Pretty random. The 5's are JDM only i think. 2L or 2L turbo's. I may be wrong. The BG/BD5's will be JDM TS-R's, GT's and RS's (RS = What they call GT sedans in JDM land till 98). For Example, my japanese 2L twin turbo GTB is a BG5C. My old car, a Liberty LX 2.2L SOHC, was a BG6.

Google subaru vin decoder or something along those lines, there's a few good sites.

You were probably looking at a 2.5GT limited Sedan, aka a BD in the USA. This was the first year they were introduced in the US as a Limited.

It is, in fact a BD, which is called that because of how it is numbered on the VIN...the number after the BD on the vin (in the US) is what your engine type is, which will vary by year. I'm guessing it's a 6.

Use this site to check all your facts related to any Subaru. http://www.cars101.com

Legacy chassis codes (worldwide) are as follows:

89-93 (JDM and other RHD Markets) 90-94 (North American Market) BC = Sedan BF = Wagon (1.8L NA and 2.2L FI and NA SOHC H4 powerplants in North America) JDM and other markets had SOHC 1.8 NA, 2.0 and 2.2FI H4 powerplants)

94-98 (JDM and other RHD Markets) 95-99 (NA Market) BD = Sedan BG = Humbacked (GT and Outback) wagon BK = Flat-roofed (L and Brighton) wagon (2.2L SOHC and 2.5L NA DOHC H4 powerplants - in North America) JDM and other markets had SOHC 2.0 NA and 2.0 and 2.2FI H4 powerplants)

99-03 (JDM and other RHD Markets) 00-04 BE = Sedan; BH = Wagon (2.5L NA SOHC H4 and 3.0L NA DOHC H6 powerplants - in North America) JDM and other markets had SOHC NA 2.0L and SOHC FI 2.0L H4 powerplants

03-08 (JDM and other RHD Markets) 05-10 BL = Sedan; BP = Wagon (2.5 NA SOHC H4, NA DOHC 3.0L H6 and FI DOHC 2.5L H4 powerplants - in North America) JDM and other markets had NA 2.0L and DOHC FI 2.0L H4 powerplants.

It's late and I'm sure I'm not recalling all of the JDM/other market powerplant info correctly, but that'll certainly give you a flavor for the vehicle

Typically BD5 refers to a 1995-1999 Legacy sedan with a 5 speed manual transmission, while a BHA would refer to a 2000-2004 Legacy Wagon with a 4 speed auto.

HTH

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

BD5 refers to the 5 speed you say, what about if it's an Auto? Is it the same?

BDA. This is not an "official" Subaru designation. That's what the Subaru community refers to it as. See my signature below. BD5 may also refer to the "revision" which would mean the 5th year of the BD chassis, but I've not seen that anywhere for the 2nd gens.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived