LegacyGT.com

Muffler delete and performance?

Sebastian

So I unbolted the mufflers on the car and drove around to see how it sounds.. hehe.. it growls now.. :)

But.. I'm not sure if its in my head but it seems like the car is actually slower on the take off. Not sure if it's just because I lost back pressure or what. It seems like I lost power at the bottom of the torque curve but gained it at the top.

Has anyone tested (perhaps dyno) the car before and after a muffler delete to see what affect it has on the torque curve? Just driving it feels like I lost power somewhere in the 2500-4000rpm range, but gained it back when I go over 6000. Again this might just be in my head, thats why I'm on here asking..

Also, when I get on the gas and into high rpms, it now sounds like a jet inside the car, with a constant "woosh" as long as I stay on the gas in high rpms. Is this what people talk about when they say they can hear the turbo more after a muffler delete?

I ran like this for about an hour...SO bad ass.

That woosh sound is actually the exhaust gases pushing against the bottom of the car. If you look at the stock Y pipe, the flow actually is going upwards at the flanges, pointing the exhaust into the bottom of the trunk.

the factory y-pipe is more restrictive than the mufflers. there are some people still on the factory cans with bigger turbos so they certianly flow more than enough for the stock turbo. IMO you get no hp gains just by removing the cans.

Yesterday while driving around, mufflers are back on, I got a CEL. Unhooked the battery for a few to reset it. It came back later in the day. Both times were while driving on the highway.

Took it to Advanced Auto Parts and had it scanned. Can't remember the code, but it was a "Bank 1 Sensor 1" o2 sensor that was causing the problem. Guy who worked there said that taking off the mufflers can burn out an o2 sensor, but I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about..

Could taking the mufflers off cause an o2 sensor to go out, and does anyone know which sensor is "Bank 1 Sensor 1"?

On my last car, an NA Galant, I took off the stock cat-back system, but once I got to the cat, I found that those bolts were rusted on. I had to drive my car over to my friends place with no exhaust past the cat, and it was DEFINITELY slower than with the system on, even the stock exhaust. And it sounded like a tractor, so I said F that.

have u seen the inards of the stock mufflers?! that shit so damn restrictive! horrible design.

just cause it looks restrictive does not mean it actually is ;). The factory cans have been shown to handle the flow of aftermarket turbos. the realr restriction is the mid/y-pipe.

please dont do that... its a combination of rice and redneck to just.. take off your mufflers. I HOPE its illegal too.. unfortunately its not in my area.. I keep hoping they'll make it a crime equivalent to treason.. but I dont think that'll be happening no matter how many letters I write. :(

If you want a quality exhaust system go with a nice borla system or something. It gives you a growl w/o rednecking your ride.. and its legal.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I have some muffler deletes I was using until I got my catback. It was fun and didnt seem to be faster/slower but the quality of sound with a proper aftermarket catback is unparalleled.
^ n00bs below this line

just cause it looks restrictive does not mean it actually is ;). The factory cans have been shown to handle the flow of aftermarket turbos. the realr restriction is the mid/y-pipe.

In the middle of the muffler it is sectioned off. The metal used has a couple holes. it is mainly a solid plate with a hand full of pen size holes. The inlet pipe going into the muffler reduces and goes into the furtherest section. the inlet pipe is up top. Then the exhaust then flows thru the lower pipe back to the first section. the exhaust then goes thru the smallest pipe yet. the end of its absurdley long travel goes that tiny pipe. Turbos work best with no mufflers period. :eek:

please dont do that... its a combination of rice and redneck to just.. take off your mufflers. I HOPE its illegal too.. unfortunately its not in my area.. I keep hoping they'll make it a crime equivalent to treason.. but I dont think that'll be happening no matter how many letters I write. :(

If you want a quality exhaust system go with a nice borla system or something. It gives you a growl w/o rednecking your ride.. and its legal.

What about cars that come with out mufflers? srt4..what about the few cars that dude sound good with no mufflers. Say a 3rd gen eclipse? How bout beastly v8's that dump at the axles? You can't claim redneck on something with 500 + hp.

if its driven on the street and it doesn't have mufflers.. its rice/redneck/generally rude.

Have the common decency to let people sleep at night.

I'm a rather big supporter of noise pollution laws.. I feel they're FAR too lax. If I could take a day off for every night I've spent laying awake for hours and hours while these irresponsible rude people needlessly make noises with their vehicles I'd have a regular holiday abroad. Noise pollution is one of the largest quality of life drainers on the list. How is one supposed to make the best of a bumper to bumper commute when they have to hear your car scream like a banshee every time you move 3 feet? How can someone enjoy a movie at home when they cant tell if the rumbling and shaking is coming from their stereo or from the asshole outside who cant stop working on his car at 8PM on a Tuesday? How can someone sit in a park or enjoy a picnic when theres cars continuously making loud obnoxious farting sounds as they go down the road for no good reason? I tell you one thing I AM looking forward to in electric cars if thats what we wind up with is the STFU element.

SRT4 should not have been allowed to be on any roads if it did not have mufflers..Honestly I find it hard to believe the stock srt-4 did not have mufflers. A big v8 that dumps before the axle is fine if there is a muffler under the floorpan before it... if you want the sound some of the time get cut-outs. You can get them electric or manual. From what I can tell they're fairly inexpensive... I cant speak for longevity tho.. especially on the electric ones. I imagine they'd start to leak or the solenoid would fail after a few years.

Seriously, I love the sound of open headers and loud exhaust.. but their place is at the dragstrip or race track.. not on the road or in a neighborhood.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

if its driven on the street and it doesn't have mufflers.. its rice/redneck/generally rude.

Have the common decency to let people sleep at night.

I'm a rather big supporter of noise pollution laws.. I feel they're FAR too lax. If I could take a day off for every night I've spent laying awake for hours and hours while these irresponsible rude people needlessly make noises with their vehicles I'd have a regular holiday abroad. Noise pollution is one of the largest quality of life drainers on the list. How is one supposed to make the best of a bumper to bumper commute when they have to hear your car scream like a banshee every time you move 3 feet? How can someone enjoy a movie at home when they cant tell if the rumbling and shaking is coming from their stereo or from the asshole outside who cant stop working on his car at 8PM on a Tuesday? How can someone sit in a park or enjoy a picnic when theres cars continuously making loud obnoxious farting sounds as they go down the road for no good reason? I tell you one thing I AM looking forward to in electric cars if thats what we wind up with is the STFU element.

SRT4 should not have been allowed to be on any roads if it did not have mufflers..Honestly I find it hard to believe the stock srt-4 did not have mufflers. A big v8 that dumps before the axle is fine if there is a muffler under the floorpan before it... if you want the sound some of the time get cut-outs. You can get them electric or manual. From what I can tell they're fairly inexpensive... I cant speak for longevity tho.. especially on the electric ones. I imagine they'd start to leak or the solenoid would fail after a few years.

Seriously, I love the sound of open headers and loud exhaust.. but their place is at the dragstrip or race track.. not on the road or in a neighborhood.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chill+pill

In the middle of the muffler it is sectioned off. The metal used has a couple holes. it is mainly a solid plate with a hand full of pen size holes. The inlet pipe going into the muffler reduces and goes into the furtherest section. the inlet pipe is up top. Then the exhaust then flows thru the lower pipe back to the first section. the exhaust then goes thru the smallest pipe yet. the end of its absurdley long travel goes that tiny pipe. Turbos work best with no mufflers period. :eek:

I know what the inside of the muffler looks like. what im saying is you are just saying what you think of how it flows without comparing it to anything else or to any hard data. remember, we have 2 mufflers, so each one only has to flow half of the exhaust volume, which they are more than capapble of. what im saying is that the cimp right before the y-splip on the factory pipe flows less then both mufflers. there have been dyno comparisons with stage 2 with aftermarket mid/y and stock cans vs. full cat back with straight through style cas and the difference has been minimal if at all. this means , eventhough the stock can design looks restrictive, it actually flows pretty well. replace ing or removing the mufflers alone without dealing with the factory mid/y will give very little gains if at all, especailly on the stock turbo.

Sorry.. but this kind of thing really sets me off.. You dont know what I've had to do just to get a nights sleep.. I've considered going to a hotel on some nights just to get away from loud exhaust. I have a box fan, sometimes up to 3.. in my bedroom on high trying to drown out the noise. I have purchased expensive noise canceling curtains and put foam inside the windowsills to try and drown out exhaust noise.. its not enough.. and people act like its ok to go around taking mufflers off their cars.. well its not.

Performance or not, you have to realize the other costs associated with removing noise reduction components from your vehicle.. backpressure changes being one of them, noise pollution being another.

you could say this is to me what HIDs are to Sebbery. :lol:;)

Laguna Seca has very strict sound restrictions and they host some of the fastest cars in the world. Not to mention if your exhaust is too loud you cant hear your engine very well and I would rather know whats going on with my engine than "sound really cool".
^ n00bs below this line

Sorry.. but this kind of thing really sets me off.. You dont know what I've had to do just to get a nights sleep.. I've considered going to a hotel on some nights just to get away from loud exhaust. I have a box fan, sometimes up to 3.. in my bedroom on high trying to drown out the noise. I have purchased expensive noise canceling curtains and put foam inside the windowsills to try and drown out exhaust noise.. its not enough.. and people act like its ok to go around taking mufflers off their cars.. well its not.

Performance or not, you have to realize the other costs associated with removing noise reduction components from your vehicle.. backpressure changes being one of them, noise pollution being another.

you could say this is to me what HIDs are to Sebbery. :lol:;)

I can see your point... though I've "upgraded" the exhaust on nearly every car I have ever owned.

OP..

instead of muffler deletes consider something like an exhaust cut out... I ran an electric cutout that I kept closed 80% of the time to prevent from driving neighbors and passengers absolutely crazy...

as a matter of fact...I still have it..already installed on my legacy... and per the dyno software my tuner used it showed to add 15hp and 20 tq when it was open.

soundclips at youtube. user name 00mred00

how long do they last?

I was always worried that kindof thing would wear out rather quickly due to temperatures and pressure and start to leak.

I think its a great idea for people who want the extra power/noise but understand that neighborhoods are NOT the place for it.

I kinda wish my neighbor would get some.. although I wish more that he'd total his car and go to jail for the rest of his life.. if not worse.. I would not feel bad if he died in some horrible way.

how long do they last?

I was always worried that kindof thing would wear out rather quickly due to temperatures and pressure and start to leak.

I think its a great idea for people who want the extra power/noise but understand that neighborhoods are NOT the place for it.

I kinda wish my neighbor would get some.. although I wish more that he'd total his car and go to jail for the rest of his life.. if not worse.. I would not feel bad if he died in some horrible way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett%C4%81

2nd this.

and in most areas, there ARE noise laws in place. not geared towards a car in general, but a time restraint. like in Spokane for example. most areas 10pm-6am there IS a decibel limit. granted most of the time it's people blaring their music in a residential area... but you can break the decibel levels with exhaust also. but getting a cop to ticket someone with a loud exhaust... usually they give them a warning after 10. You *can* be ticketed for ANY loud noise over a certain decibel after 10pm.

I know some areas in Oregon, a cop WILL pull you over to check your level if they think you are too loud, regardless of time. but Oregon is an odd state with odd laws...

I was woken up this morning yet again by my horrible neighbor and his loud vehicle..

I personally wish that loud exhaust was a ticket the 1st time.. and an impound the 2nd when the "fix it" order is ignored.. I think noise pollution is more detrimental than moderate speeding and should be treated as such.. I think inspections offices should refuse to license cars that exceed specific decibels.. At any time of the day.. not just after 10pm.. (here its 11pm :mad:)

if you have cutouts.. well.. thats different.. so long as you dont use it on the street I wouldn't think they would care..

Yesterday while driving around, mufflers are back on, I got a CEL. Unhooked the battery for a few to reset it. It came back later in the day. Both times were while driving on the highway.

Took it to Advanced Auto Parts and had it scanned. Can't remember the code, but it was a "Bank 1 Sensor 1" o2 sensor that was causing the problem. Guy who worked there said that taking off the mufflers can burn out an o2 sensor, but I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about..

Could taking the mufflers off cause an o2 sensor to go out, and does anyone know which sensor is "Bank 1 Sensor 1"?

After having the Advanced Auto Parts guys reset the code, I was good for a couple of weeks. Then cruising around tonight, the CEL came back. So using the built in OBD Scanner, I got the engine code P0546. after looking it up on here it looks like that code is for "EGT Sensor Circuit High".

Could temporarily taking off my mufflers caused this? More importantly, how big a deal is this? I have heard of a resistor mod that will do away with the CEL, but is that just covering up what could turn into a big problem?

I highly doubt removing your mufflers would trigger a code, any code.

I broke my exhaust at the "Y" and drove with the mufflers just hanging by the hangers for nearly a week and didn't get any codes.

It did sound cool for a day or two but then got really annoying. Especially when every kid in a riced out Civic wanted to race me! :lol: :lol: ;)

Cheers!

Archived