LegacyGT.com

1994 Legacy high idle help?

LV-426

Hi all, I am helping out a friend who owns a 1994 Legacy L 2WD non turbo 4-Door. He asked me to look at his car because it was running weird. So here is what I found when I went to look at his car.

Horrible metal noise come from the front of the engine. Sounds like its coming from the alternator or near there. Or maybe even inside the engine, couldn't tell even after putting my ear up to it. ( The noise sounds like when you're AC compressor breaks. Its like a metal on metal rotating sound)

Idles at 4000 rpm and stays there. I took it for a spin around the parking lot to see if it would drop down but it just stayed. I didnt even have my foot on the gas and it just went.

He was complaining about it making a weird noise for a while. That day, he took it to a shop to get the oil changed. The mechanic changed the oil and the air filter. The mechanic left a tube from the intake tube unplugged which I plugged back in.

I feel like the car is on its last leg. I feel bad for him because he's broke as hell.

What do these symptoms point to?

The metal on metal noise and the high idle are more than likely unrelated. Start with one issue at a time. Did the idle change after you plugged the hose/tube back in?

Before I plugged the hose back in, the car would almost stall, it was barley running. But when I plugged the hose in, the idle went up to 4K and never came down

with a high idle you might want to check to make sure that there are no Leaks in the intake system. I had an old truck that used to rev in the 3-4k area until I put my foot on the gas a bit. turned out that the Gasket for the throttle body was leaking and allowing Air to go in which in turn tricked the computer into revving higher. I would have a mechanic look at it for Intake leaks. Could be as simple as a Gasket or oven a sensor gone bad. good luck

with a high idle you might want to check to make sure that there are no Leaks in the intake system. I had an old truck that used to rev in the 3-4k area until I put my foot on the gas a bit. turned out that the Gasket for the throttle body was leaking and allowing Air to go in which in turn tricked the computer into revving higher. I would have a mechanic look at it for Intake leaks. Could be as simple as a Gasket or oven a sensor gone bad. good luck

Thanks, yeah, I may go back and take a second look at it and try some different things and. See if I cant find any leaks.

Archived