LegacyGT.com

Removing the trunk support bars

dfalk

Im building a sub box and the bars that run across the trunk to hold the trunk lid up are totally in the way and have to go. Has anyone removed these in the car before, and will the trunk lid stay up without them? If not i was thinkin id fabricate them shocks they use to hold up tailgates on SUVs to work with my car. Anyone have and ideas or suggestions? If you dont know what im talkin about heres a pic below. Also the center seat belt has to go but im sure that comes out easy right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/dfalk/3454.jpg

Two words of advice when choosing the shocks...

You need to get INSIDE the trunk with it closed to see what the distance is from your possible mounting points when the trunk is shut. The shock you choose should be no longer than this measurement. Then open the trunk and take the measurement again from the same two points. The chosen shock should be able to extend to this length. Then just choose one that meets both these requirements.

I know there is a kit made for the Miata. You remove the two torsion rods (without them your trunk will not stay open) and then mount the hydraulic strut assembly (Miata only needed one strut and that was with the factory spoiler mounted) to some custom brackets that attach to the deck lid andn the hinge assembly. Here is a link to the one I purchased http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=33272.

I dunno if this kit would fit a legacy though. You might need a longer strut and the mounting points will probably differ. Usually Moss is pretty good about posting their installation instructions on line. I thought that if you had those you could reverse engineer something to fit your car.

The one I had on my miata was pretty cool. The strut is under load when the trunk is closed so when you pop the trunk the trunk lid would automatically open, very convenient when your hands are full of groceries. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the trunk did not open quite as wide as it did with the factory torsion rods. This will probably be an issue with your Legacy as well seeing our trunks open up pretty well 90 degrees from horizontal.

Sounds like a cool project. I wish you succcess with it!

Archived