LegacyGT.com

Noob question about Data logging - How to?

Aex1

Well, I've read enough about it, but didn't find clear answer to the following question: how phisically can I manage Data logging? I can download the stock ROM, for example, with the car staying, but how about measuring the RPM? I need to start the engine and drive! So at the same time I need to watch for the road (at some desert place, I suppose), switch the defogger button on-off and be carefull at fast speeds, sometimes extreme? How can I manage all this at the same time?! Where should I put the book? On the passenger seat?

Or maybe there is another method: press firmly by the left leg the stop pedal, switch to D and then press shortly by the right leg the gas pedal, from 2000 to redline? (On Neutral or P the turbo doesn't start, you know.) Is it safe this method for the engine and especially for the Automatic transmission?

Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks.

This is half the reason I did a CarPC. :)

Prior to that I would put the laptop in the passenger footwell. Hitting the defogger at the appropriate time is no problem. I only logged up to about 80mph (top of 3rd gear w/ 5MT), and even that was just on a long flat one-lane one-way no-intersections area, so there was really nothing to worry about.

With an AT perhaps it's more complicated, I dunno. Do you know where the shift points are? I mean, can you cover the whole rev range up to redline with your 5EAT without going over 80 mph or so? (130kph)

This is half the reason I did a CarPC. :)

Prior to that I would put the laptop in the passenger footwell. Hitting the defogger at the appropriate time is no problem. I only logged up to about 80mph (top of 3rd gear w/ 5MT), and even that was just on a long flat one-lane one-way no-intersections area, so there was really nothing to worry about.

With an AT perhaps it's more complicated, I dunno. Do you know where the shift points are? I mean, can you cover the whole rev range up to redline with your 5EAT without going over 80 mph or so? (130kph)

In the passenger footwell? So how long the cable should be? Accessport cable obviously doesn't fit.

Regarding the gears, I really don't know how to see them, if no at the Sport regime. I checked it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_transmissions#5EAT , for example, but how is related to RPM?

And what about the second method? Is it dangerous or no?

I used a Tactrix cable, it is long enough, but just barely. USB extension cables are cheap though.

If you don't have a cable yet, see this thread ==> click here.

I guess the first thing you should log (once you get the basics figured out (like where to put the laptop)), is log RPM and MPH from a stopped to ~80mph at full throttle. Do this in a place where it's safe to go 80 of course. :)

Then you'll know where your shift points are, and that should help you decide how to log. I really have no idea about automatic transmissions.

Do not worry about hitting the defrost button at exactly the right moment. Just turn it on before you need it, and turn it off after you are done. You can easily remove the extra data when you get home.

Thanks, NSFW. I have the same autonostics cable, but made here. It's just a KKL-USB cable.

Still there are some questions pending: check data by second method. Is it a usual practice?

Archived