LegacyGT.com

Up pipe installation

i'm not really a good hands on guy and i did it with a buddy on my 06. Used simple hand tools and some PB BLaster for the bolts, also spray the gaskets with copper sealant.(just to be safe) Took about 5 hours though. i didn't have to jack the engine up or do anything special. Followed the guides on here and it went pretty smooth.

maybe i will try it again in the future... I was bought and up and down pipe and attempted to do the install myself. I took off the dp and that went ok... then I started to take off the up pipe and my lack of confidence got the better of me and I bailed. I just installed the downpipe and turbo heat shield and called it a day... I am not looking forward to taking off the down pipe and intercooler and all that stuff again... but i will have to do it someday.

Taking off the intercooler and downpipe is easy...it's the up that's the PITA. I was able to do my up with out jacking up the engine...you just have to take off the bracket underneath the turbo. It took me two days by myself to get everything done with no exhaust leaks, but it was worth it...especially now with my PDX maps.

• 1 month later...
its pretty hard to get the bolts holding the heat shield on without removing the intercooler. The intercooler is the easiest thing to remove. I got my dp installed and wimped on before I tried the up. it looks like a pita!! I really dont want to remove the manifold or jack up the engine.

It is not a project for the timid. Definitely takes that committment to just go for it. I had my UP and pondered for a couple of weeks until I just had to say screw it and did it. If you take your time, and do everything in the right order, it is really not that bad with the right tools. If your confident doing your own brakes, and can manage a DP install, then you can do an UP install. It's just a little more tedious. Check out Post #174 http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5118&page=12 for a step-by-step list of the process.

• 2 years later...
I just did it for the second time was on here browsing for tips as I could not remember but just so you guys know I did it with out removing intercooler manifold of jacking up the motor. Thought I would mention that since lots of people seem to back out for those reasons.

Archived