LegacyGT.com

LGT Coilovers on Outback XT Questions

Scooby2.5

Since some are having trouble with the megan racing coilovers on the Outback we are looking for a possible alternative if it comes to that.

I was wondering if you can place aftermarket LGT coilovers on an Outback XT and still have it be CLOSE to stock height?

My understanding is that Outbacks have some sort of lift built into the frame?

I have my megan racing coilovers set to 1-1.5 inches lower than factory and was wondering if I could get close to this height with the LGT coilovers from another vender?

I also wanted to know if there are any LGT aftermarket coilovers that allow you to use the factory tophats?

Also any suggestions on the best LGT coilover for a daily driver that is similar to the megans?

• 1 year later...

I was making a new thread, and saw this pop up in the "suggested". Though it wasn't related to the thread I was making, I thought I'd chime in!

I'm going to be running a set of Endura-Tech's prototype "Outback Specific" coilovers soon. I say "Outback Specific" in quotes, because while sprung for the Outback, they do require lowering. The official drop height remains to be seen, but it looks like it will be in the ~1.5" to 2" range, which should look JUST right.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I think that Megan is made by BC Racing...supposedly the BR versions are better so I'm not sure if this is a good suggestion for you or not.

I have a set of BC Racing BR coilovers on my LGT wagon and had some rear ride height issues with the std length cartridge. I called BC Racing in Fl and spoke with them, they have longer threaded cartridges that will work since the valving is the same according to them. I picked up a couple of longer cartridges for the rear on my car so that I don't have to run so much preload to get off the bump stops. You might consider giving BC a call if you have an idea as to the length cartridges you are looking for, but once again, if Megan is a problem then you might not be looking for BR products.

Guess what I am trying to say is you might be able to retrofit other cartridges on the Megans and order them to your ride height requirements.

The BC/BR coilovers are indeed made by the same company as the megans.

With that said though, all the reports I have read is they are way better.

Alot of STI guys are running them on NASOIC and really like them.

Someone put the LGT ones on an outback and it lowered the car about 1.5

If I Ever have trouble with the megans again that is what I am going to do.

Also I talked to import image and they can custom make the cartridge length for the same price

Well we'll find out some time in the next few weeks. I just ordered a set of extended BC Racing BR coils through ImportImage. From most of the failures we've seen here it's been primarily the inverted front coilovers, so along with the design and ok reviews I've been reading about the BC/BR design I'm hoping for better results.
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Well we'll find out some time in the next few weeks. I just ordered a set of extended BC Racing BR coils through ImportImage. From most of the failures we've seen here it's been primarily the inverted front coilovers, so along with the design and ok reviews I've been reading about the BC/BR design I'm hoping for better results.

Can you do me a favor when you get them and measure the cartridge length from the top to the bottom?

I'm pretty new but I have a question that fits pretty well in here: I've been looking for a Legacy wagon, but finding one newer than 05 is about impossible, and the 05's have bad side safety ratings, so I started looking at the Outback. However, I want to be able to go LOW with this car, and based on what I've seen about options for the OB, there isn't much out there for even mild drops? Should I just drop the OB from consideration?

Why would a lack of mild-drop options prevent you from going low?

Remove the body spacers and use LGT coilovers and you have an LGT wagon.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Not "easy" but not insurmountable. It can be done.

Can do man. I'll throw up a comparison to the MR's I'll be pulling off as well.

Great that is exactly what I need. I am currently running the megans with my car 1.5 inches lowered. Im curious what and how the BC's do.

That is the route I wish to go if we can get the data.....sounds like you are the man for this!

Not "easy" but not insurmountable. It can be done.

Where exactly are these spacers that can be removed? When I look under mine I dont see anything that is easily removable.

It would be nice to have some pictures of the difference between the LGT and the Outback in this area.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You can lower a OBXT like a Legacy on Legacy coilovers as long as you remember to also swap out the bump stops for the Legacy ones as well. If you don't, the ride would be bumpy as hell

Archived