LegacyGT.com

HELP: I screwed up my brakes trying to install pads.

Hello, I experienced a problem when I decided to change my brake pads.

As stupid as it may make me seem, I want to ask you guys for the solution.

When I was changing one of my rear pads, I decided to test the pedal firmness with the caliper in the open position (I guess I was just exploring cause and effect :redface:). This, in turn, pushed fluid into the piston housing and moved the piston outward.

The piston came out of the piston boot and spilled fluid everywhere.

After getting everything put back together I thought I would just bleed the brake lines to fill the housing with fluid but nothing happened.

Can someone please help me? I feel stupid now but I consider this a learning experience. :redface::spin::redface:

Keep at it. If you got the piston back in, then you're fine. It's much easier to have a helper pump the brake pedal while you're sitting at the caliper with the wrench and bleeding hose.

Start at the farthest point from the cylinder. Right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Just leave the bleeder valve open until all the air is out and fluid is coming out everytime the pedal is pumped. Bleed till no more air bubbles are in the line. Close valve, repeat at other corners. Make sure the fluid is topped off, cause you'll have to start all over if air enters the system.

The piston is back in.... and the position of the failed brake is the rear right....

So if I understand correctly, just keep pumping the brakes until the fluid is correct? Any predictions on how many pumps...? I guess I have to go and get more fluid because it is at the minimum line.

Thanks for the response.

You're not going to get by with just the remainder of the fluid in the resevoir. If you let air in the system, it's going to take a bit. I'll normally use one of those big bottles of brake fluid to do a good flush. You'll probably need one of those.

Take your time and do it correctly, there's just too much riding on your brakes.

Archived