LegacyGT.com

Wines bought for a special occasion...

eVoMotion

I have been impressed in recent years when people pull out Magnums or bigger at parties. I got to thinking, a Mag is really just like opening two bottles of wine at once as opposed to two individually. We often open many singles in a night, so...

I decided to start buying some "large format" bottles for the fun and bling factor.

I just bought a half dozen Mags, doubles and triples. YAHOO!

Where as some people will buy really expensive bottles ~$100+ and save them, we like to drink more often, so I think large format is the new "black" for me.

What are you saving in your cellar for a rainy day?

Guest heightsgtltd

I have a bunch like that. One is a 1997 Cos d'estournel that was given to us as a wedding present. That will be opened in 10 years :)

I haven't started buying any magnums yet, but a friend has been doing that a lot lately.

Excellent point about it being like 2 bottles...hmmm :lol:

I have a bunch like that. One is a 1997 Cos d'estournel that was given to us as a wedding present.

married in 97? Another parallel??

We have one bottle of champagne (actually local Aussie sparkling wine) from our wedding...in `97. Not sure when we will open it.

Guest heightsgtltd
Such a sly moderator :lol:

Last edited by heightsgtltd; Today at 05:39 PM.

No unfortunately my Walmart mod powers don't allow me to remove them secretly :lol:

Guest heightsgtltd
married in 97? Another parallel??

We have one bottle of champagne (actually local Aussie sparkling wine) from our wedding...in `97. Not sure when we will open it.

No we are 2005, but my friend knew it was a good one

Guest heightsgtltd

Yeah woot is pretty cool for that.

There is also another site that is escaping my brain right now that is great for buying closeout lots of interesting wines

Guest JessterCPA

I won a great double-magnum of a Cab a couple of years back that I served at Christmas dinner. Was super yummy, and it was great because there was plenty of wine for everyone at the table.

I'll take a picture when I get home. I kept the bottle.

Guest heightsgtltd
Wine ages a bit differently in larger bottles, but no real advantage other than convenience and consistency vs. 750ml to 750ml

I should think that if you buy two bottles from the same case and store them consistently, the difference is likely to be nil unless you're unfortunate enough to have a bad cork. Though along that same line of reasoning, you double (or triple) your risk (in terms of investment value) of a corked bottle if you buy a Magnum. Wouldn't that be true?

Guest heightsgtltd

You are right, but all things being equal, wines often age better in magnums.

My point was assuming wine isn't corked, when you get to a certain vintage, other things can go wrong and make bottles differ from each other (e.g., how stored, reactions inside the bottle)

Huh, interesting. I'm a bit surprised that they would really age any better in a larger bottle. At least a bottle of relatively marginal increase in size. I would think it would take a much larger vessel to make a difference.

Good to know. I'll have to read up on that more.

Archived