LegacyGT.com

Heading to South FL... need some location tips!

AKLGT

Alright, so I'm heading to FL for a week in Nov. We'll be in Orlando for 3 days and leave out of Miami at noon that Saturday. So we'll have Thurs afternoon to get to where we're going, Friday to bum around (kinda wanted to hit up the keys) and then leave Sat at noon from Miami. Any suggestions as we don't actually have to stay in Miami itself, but anywhere along the Turnpike. What about Key Largo???

Any suggestions? We've never been that direction and obviously limited on time. Where do you locals suggest?

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

First off..bring your guns.

Key Largo is in the Upper Keys...about 1:20 from MIA..well worth the visit.The drive is fabulous...great views at sea level. The Marriott at Mile marker 101 is sweet. Well worth the $$ and on the bay side (east) of route 1.

http://www.marriottkeylargo.com/

There is not much to do in the keys but fish and relax...I highly reccomend it.

BTW, gotta go to Disney World...I may have some discounts on tix if you need. Let me know.

Rehab is for quitters.

First off..bring your guns.

Key Largo is in the Upper Keys...about 1:20 from MIA..well worth the visit.The drive is fabulous...great views at sea level. The Marriott at Mile marker 101 is sweet. Well worth the $$ and on the bay side (east) of route 1.

http://www.marriottkeylargo.com/

There is not much to do in the keys but fish and relax...I highly reccomend it.

BTW, gotta go to Disney World...I may have some discounts on tix if you need. Let me know.

aaah lame! they are booked! :( that's exactly what I was looking for! too bad. so I booked us 2 nights here:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/miabh-courtyard-miami-beach-oceanfront/

Not as nice, but figured we'll just take a drive down to the Keys. :)

Oh yeah...you will be fine with that MB is sweet. Not my taste but sweet.

If you go down to the Keys make it down to Morada Bay Beach Cafe for lunch or dinner. http://www.moradabay-restaurant.com/ . I got hitched there...

It is at Mile Marker 81.5...so it not that far in and the drive is enough to give you a taste of the Keys. The view is unreal. GL and don't cut anyone off...

Rehab is for quitters.

If you make it down to the Keys, another great place to go for dinner is the Key Colony Inn in Key Colony Beach. (700 W Ocean Dr, Key Colony Beach, FL - (305) 743-0100‎)

Also, what are you wanting to do while you're in FL? (originally from there)

if you are a seafood fan dont miss out on the whale harbour inn.its an all you can eat seafood buffet and the food is great.also the islandmorada seafood company is good also.i was down in the keys 2 weeks ago.if you got some time to burn you could visit john pennecamp park and you cold take a snorkel tour,glass bottom boat,or rent a boat.

You don't need a gun in Miama (as the locals call it) not unless you ride thru Liberty City. My suggestion is drive to Key Largo and go snorkeling out on the reefs (take a cattle boat off Pennekamp State Park). Then take the leisurely drive down the coastal highway all the way to Key West . Not manY places or as many things to do in the Upper keys. Key West has many places . Go To Duval street and do the Duval Crawl (ask the locals what that is but you can figure it out). On the way down hit up Lorelei (mile marker 82)for spirits/ music and good times on the water. PM me for other info

If you make it down to the Keys, another great place to go for dinner is the Key Colony Inn in Key Colony Beach. (700 W Ocean Dr, Key Colony Beach, FL - (305) 743-0100‎)

Also, what are you wanting to do while you're in FL? (originally from there)

well, we'll be in Orlando for the first 3 days. I have passes to Universal Studios. Planning on hitting up the Weds weekly meet there and then Thurs drive down towards Miami. I'm told to take the Turnpike. We'll have all of Fri to bum around and drive down to the keys and we leave Sat noon. So it's a short trip, but much needed... I'm gearing up for the Holiday rush at my stores and since I'm short staffed, I've been working 6-7 days, 10-14 hrs/day. I need a little break from my life. :lol:

I still am bummed we're missing the Subaru Challenge by a couple days, but no possible way to make it work in our schedules (I already tried). Still, I'm looking forward to it. Phil hasn't been to FL and I've only ever been to Pensecola (sp?) when we moved up to AK back in '92.

gotcha! sounds like you're gonna have a good time. when you go down to Miami/The Keys DEFINITELY take the Turnpike! it will cost you a few bucks (about 13), but it's wayyyyy faster than going down 95. less cops and traffic BTW. (been down there loads of times, my dad lives in Marathon)

sucks about missing the Subaru Challenge... i was wanting to get down there for that, but classes are keeping me tied pretty close to Chatt...

FL - like Sam Adams, Always a good decision :lol::lol:

:lol: but I don't like Sam Adams beer. :(

I still think FL is a good idea! I'm looking forward to it too. I need some sun! it's been snowing this past week off and on here for an early winter. Plus, my busy season's getting underway at the stores and I'm understaffed. So this will be my last opportunity to try and relax for the next 3 months.

The food suggestions made here are ok but, if you are looking to eat the best tasting fish around you have to go to the Fishhouse its about MM101 on the ocean side. It while your there try any fish matacumbe style, OMG! I must warn you though you will be spoiled for life after eating there. Have Fun the keys are awesome!

http://www.fishhouse.com/

In terms of timelines you will need around 3-31/2 hrs to drive from Orlando to the Outskirts Of Miami/Dade. Take turnpike Extension South at North dade and it will take you another 45 min to reach Fl city or the southern tip of the state. From there its a 20 min ride thru a 2 lane swamp highway to Key Largo. You will have a short stay so its recommended to go straight to the Keys from Orlly. Avoid early morning thru Miami (7-8am ) and (Pm 5-6) to avoid traffic. Nothing beats a leisurely drive down the coastal highway once you reach the keys. Of particular interest is 7 mile bridge where you literally only see water in all directions. The essence of the Keys comes from its laid back atmosphere . Find small outdoor eateries on the bay/water. Best at sunset on the West side. Don't forget the snorkeling . I'll give a weather report here a few days before you arrive (I run a weather/surf forecasting site) named Dadecosurf.com. Enjoy

well, our hotel is in Miami Beach. So we'll be driving from Orlando there on Thurs. I figured we'll check in and then walk around the area. Then on Fri, we'll head out to the Keys.

I was going to suggest Miami Beach. You can't go wrong there. Just too much to do in such a short time. The most common thing to do is stroll the art Deco district , Collins Ave from 5th st North (you know the area that always comes out in the movies and commercials). Evening hours the best bet is to stroll Lincoln Rd ,an outdoor cafe walkway area with alternative shops. Great for people watching (be sure to bring an open mind). Its going to be tough fitting in a Keys trip if you leave Sat but it may be worth it for the sheer relaxation of the drive. This is great Beach season . A little windy this time of year but the weather is cooler and less humid.

Great Places in the Keys:

Hogs Breath Saloon (ya just gotta get a T-Shirt)

Southern Most point. Bazaar, "Green Flash" at sunset.

Best breakfast- Blue Heaven- Laid back, dine with wild chickens.

Best Dinner -Great raw bar at Turtle Crawls-Raw bar and Seafood Dine on the Harbor.

Harry Truman house;

Ditch the car and rent a bike.

Make sure you get a REAL Cuban Sandwich for lunch! There are lots of little places that come and go that serve real Cuban food, lots of it and cheap. Ask a local.

Have fun!!!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I was going to suggest Miami Beach. You can't go wrong there. Just too much to do in such a short time. The most common thing to do is stroll the art Deco district , Collins Ave from 5th st North (you know the area that always comes out in the movies and commercials). Evening hours the best bet is to stroll Lincoln Rd ,an outdoor cafe walkway area with alternative shops. Great for people watching (be sure to bring an open mind). Its going to be tough fitting in a Keys trip if you leave Sat but it may be worth it for the sheer relaxation of the drive. This is great Beach season . A little windy this time of year but the weather is cooler and less humid.

I don't do heat well (this is why I live in AK) or humidity. I get heat stroke. But I'll ask one of the yocals once we check in that Thurs afternoon/eve. :)

And Robin, I may have to rent a bike while we're there to putz around on the beach. I don't really plan on laying around unless I get heat stroke (like I did in Mexico). Still, looking forward to temps above 38 deg. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Weather has been great lately . Past few days the temps have been mid 70's and even in the 60's at night. Cool NE winds blowing. A few nights ago was heaven with temps in the 50's. Leggy ran unbelievable strong. More of the same next week. Mild fall weather.

The weather will be nice. If you are driving from Miami to Orlando (That is a LONG drive) You will be driving within a couple miles of my casa.

yep, we'll be heading from orlando to Miami on thursday. We leave on Saturday.

for the Orlando folk, we're planning to hit up the Weds Subie meet. :) Hopefully Leo answers his phone so we know where we're going. LOL

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! We had a great time at Universal in Orlando and hanging out with Leo and his better half. Wish we'd gone to Disney still, but maybe the next trip. Thursday we headed to Miami Beach. We ended up going to the Miami Seaquarium Fri morning and then out to the Keys in the afternoon. Stopped at the Whale Inn for dinner before heading back. I think I got my crab leg fix for awhile now. :lol:

Archived