LegacyGT.com

2006 Manual GT Limited Wagon

Hi All,

I'm not yet a subie owner, but am a long-time fan of both turbo impreza and legacy wagons, and am seriously considering the latter for my next car. As i understand it, the sleeper enthusiast's choice, the legacy 2.5gt wagon w/manual transmission, was only available in the USA for the 2005 model year. As such, I would like to know how much any of the assembled GT wagon fans would be willing to pay for a 2006 version of this car.

I’m just across the border up in Montreal, and there's a low-mile 2006 legacy gt limited wagon, fully loaded, with 15k miles being sold by a local dealership, and they’re asking $29k Cdn, or roughly $26k USD at current exchange rates. I’ve test driven the car and she is a real beaut, and I want to go for it, but the price seems very high, and at a point at which CPO Audi wagons and new WRX wagons become viable options. The trump card for this wagon, of course, is the rarity of the car and the subsequent desireablity of such a model on the used car market. Bottom line, if such a car were available in the US, would this be an attractive price, i.e. would you go for it?

Many thanks for your time,

Brock

I have a 2008 Legacy GT Wagon (last year for this car in Canada), bought new in Vancouver, BC. I'm so pleased to have it, even though I paid too much for it compared to in the USA. After rebate and dealer discount was about $33K.

I say do a little research and you may find more used LGT wagons north of the 49th parallel, and perhaps get a better deal than you have found so far. Our used car prices have been dropping due to the closer value of our currencies.

i have a 2008 legacy gt wagon (last year for this car in canada), bought new in vancouver, bc. I'm so pleased to have it, even though i paid too much for it compared to in the usa. After rebate and dealer discount was about $33k.

I say do a little research and you may find more used lgt wagons north of the 49th parallel, and perhaps get a better deal than you have found so far. Our used car prices have been dropping due to the closer value of our currencies.

+1

Weird, i thought i had posted a response, but it does not seem to have gone through. Anyhow, to recap what I wrote:

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Noted that there are good deals to be had South of the border, but with obviously higher miles. I saw a couple on autotrader with 43k miles, offered at ~$20k US. Of course, this is well over 2x the mileage of the canadian one i found, but i suppose these are reliable cars and that sort of extra mileage shouldn't affect reliability too much.

Soopah, i didn't realize subaru still offered a manual GT wagon in Canada for 2008 - while $33k seems like a lot, yours is 2 years newer and only $4k more than the one i found here in Montreal, so it seems to me you did get a solid deal after all. Well-noted about the softening used car market up here...perhaps the best thing to do is to sit tight for a while and keep looking.

Thanks again,

Brock

Canadian retail on a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon manual was CDN$43,390 before federal and provincial taxes (12% in BC). Retail includes MSRP of $41,795, freight of $1,495 and Air Conditioning environmental tax of $100. Does not include battery and tire tax ($20 to $25), dealer documentation fees ($0 to $1000+), extra insurance products, extended warranties, protection products, etc., etc., etc.

So I'm happy with the $33K for a brand new 2008 LGT wagon! :)

Soopa, I agree, yours is a great deal! I was initially puzzled why you thought you had paid too much, but then i re-read your post and understood that you meant you had overpaid only in the context of the lower prices down south. Anyhow, enjoy your ride and hopefully i'll be joining the turbo/wagon club in the near future.

Cheers,

Brock

Archived