LegacyGT.com

Questions regarding a nagging chk engine light

I have a '98 legacy 2.5gt that has treated me very well, but I have a check engine light that is a stubborn little bastard. I've pulled the code and its telling me that I have a cylinder 4 misfire. To drive the car you wouldn't know it. As far as I can tell it's running fine. (good MPG, good pull, etc) A while back a dealership told me that my coil was no good so I replaced it, the plugs and wire myself, cleared the code and everything was good until I got up around 70mpg (~3200rpm) then the dumb light kicked back on again. Like I said, as far as I can tell all is well, but still the same cylinder 4 misfire code. If I clear the code, the light will only come on around that 70mph ~3200rpm mark, it won't come on if I accelerate and get the revs about 3200...Any other suspects beyond the coil and plugs since those are new and fine.

Also, any one know of a good place or company that produces a cold air intake for the 98 legacy gt. Will any of the late model stuff cross-reference back to this year?

Thanks for the help

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
How many miles do you have on and has the valve clearances ever been checked? You might have a valve in #4 that at that rpm is not closing completely sometimes thus causing the misfire. Sometimes soobs of that era are very picky and will misfire unless given NGK spark plugs and Subaru OEM plug wires or magnecor.

How many miles do you have on and has the valve clearances ever been checked? You might have a valve in #4 that at that rpm is not closing completely sometimes thus causing the misfire. Sometimes soobs of that era are very picky and will misfire unless given NGK spark plugs and Subaru OEM plug wires or magnecor.

+1

Those are the things I would look at first before looking at a possible injector.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived