LegacyGT.com

Pi$$ed off!!! Now Both Headlights are not working!!!

carman493

As of the other night, I had one headlight out, so I said big deal, called Subaru and scheduled my regular oil change appointment and to have them fix the light. I have had the car only since Oct. 12th and have just under 10k miles on it.

Tonight, the other Friggin Headlight goes out, and I still had to drive home. So I am stuck driving with either just my fogs, which are no where near bright enough, of just my brights, which would probably pi$$ people off. So I drove with my brights with no issues.

Now my questions begin:

Why did the headlights go out?

Is there an electrical short somewhere?

Grounding problem?

Are the factory bulbs defective?

If they replace them, will this happen again?

Anyone have any similar problems??

To me this is a serious matter, anyone else agree?

The car is going in tomorrow for a scheduled appointment.

First question: Did you undo your Daytime Running Lights (DRL)? Here's the link:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2117

IMHO - running the low beams day and night will lead to premature burn-out so doing the DRL fix is a must if you want to see longevity out of your low beams

Second question: Are the bulbs actually burned out or is there just a loose wire/connector? Very uncommon but does happen occasionally, especially if there has been any "under the hood" work" in proximity to the lamps.

Would expect that the answer to Q1 is no so that's where I would start once you replace the bulbs. If the answer to Q1 is yes, then perhaps Q2 would be the next place to look. Beyond that, it would be an issue to take up with the techs at your dealership.

Anyone else having problems with their headlights?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I just leave the headlights and foglights on all the time. Havn't felt like disabling the DRL's. Just been a convenience issue being able to leave the light switch on at all times since when i turn the car off, the lights turn off too. Dad's been doing it since '99 with his '99 outback limited and his '02 outback ltd, so i just got used to it i guess.

Poor designing in my opinion if this causes premature headlight failure.

Guest *Jedimaster*
It's Bill Kolbs fault. They were warned not to put tacky stickers, leather seats and aftermarket wheels in the car by Subaru :eek:

Just swap out the bulbs. 10k miles with the lights always on is like 20k miles of normal usage. I wouldn't worry about it. It is pretty normal for bulbs to go out after 20k.

As of the other night, I had one headlight out, so I said big deal, called Subaru and scheduled my regular oil change appointment and to have them fix the light. I have had the car only since Oct. 12th and have just under 10k miles on it.

Tonight, the other Friggin Headlight goes out, and I still had to drive home. So I am stuck driving with either just my fogs, which are no where near bright enough, of just my brights, which would probably pi$$ people off. So I drove with my brights with no issues.

Now my questions begin:

Why did the headlights go out?

Is there an electrical short somewhere?

Grounding problem?

Are the factory bulbs defective?

If they replace them, will this happen again?

Anyone have any similar problems??

To me this is a serious matter, anyone else agree?

The car is going in tomorrow for a scheduled appointment.

Here in Canada DRL are mandatory, but 10k is still short for bulb life.

What actually shortens the life the most of a bulb besides actual burn time is turning them on and off.......

lots of starts and stops will burn the bulb faster

But DRL are not always such a bad thing, I run 50,000km with no problem with DRL regularly.

Parousia

I just leave the headlights and foglights on all the time. Havn't felt like disabling the DRL's. Just been a convenience issue being able to leave the light switch on at all times since when i turn the car off, the lights turn off too. Dad's been doing it since '99 with his '99 outback limited and his '02 outback ltd, so i just got used to it i guess.

Poor designing in my opinion if this causes premature headlight failure.

Sorry to pick on you carman, but foglights-on-all-the-time is peave of mine.

A little education is in order.

The only use that foglights have:

1. Bumping down a dirt/gravel road and you need to see right in front of you
  2. Poor weather marker lights during the day
  3. Night driving in really heavy fog or snow at slow speeds (without the mains on)

At normal travel speeds, fog lights don't throw enough light far enough in front of you to do any good. You are basically balistic for what they do show you. In other words, there nothing you can do if you see something 30 feet in front of you at any speed more then 45 or so.

Most fogs are not designed with the hard cut that main beams have. This is why fogs on Chevy and Ford pickups have a higher apparent brightness then the main beams; but for the driver, they don't do much. But don't tell them that!

I've actually thought about mounting HID fogs, aiming them up and at oncoming traffic and turning them on for such jack&sses.

I am in the habit of flashing my high beams at them, but they never make the connection. Although sometimes the high beams are less bright to me then their fogs.

Driving with fogs on is also technically illegal unless the above conditions have been met, although you'll never see anybody get a ticket for that in the US.

Personally, this is why I think you won't find many cars sold in the US with REAR foglights. Since most drivers will just turn them on and be ignorant of the safety reason that they exist.

So next time you get blinded by some inconsiderate driver with their fogs on.....

Most fogs are not designed with the hard cut that main beams have.

Ours are!

Driving with fogs on is also technically illegal unless the above conditions have been met, although you'll never see anybody get a ticket for that in the US.
So are misaligned headlights and saturn high-beam DRL's that don't turn on their real headlights. I've never seen anyone get a ticket for either of those. It's pretty sad when you see more glare from 1000 lumen 9006 halogens than from D2S projectors at 3200 lumens... car.. after car.. after car... Even a few of the 05 outbacks in my town have headlights that are aimed _way_ too high. Thanks subaru. Thanks inspection station.

Archived