LegacyGT.com

New Tires on my 97 Subaru

Bob N

I just picked up a set of new tires for my 97 Sub and also had a front end alignment. Well, when I hit around 65-70 miles an hour I get a vibration (Slight shimmy) and it's annoying. I took the car back to the tire shop and they told me the tires were not out of round. Could it be my alignment is off? I own a 97 SUS which came (stock) with Ronal 15" wheels. They look like a different offset than normal outback's. Could this be the problem (a wrong alignment setting)?:confused:

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
I had a problem like that before, it turned out to be a warped wheel. Went online to a salvage companies website and found the same stock wheels and ordered em and replaced the old ones, problem was solved...

This might be the problem as one of my wheels looks like it has a divot. The one problem I have is my car came with Ronal Rims which are discontinued. My car was a test vehicle for Subaru of NE and they came with 15" Ronal wheels.

• 2 weeks later...
your tires could be in balanced, but need to be road forced. on newer stlye wheel balancers made by hunter, there is an option called road force. it basically helps match the tire to the rim to a specific location which accounts for inaccuracies due to manufacturing the rim, and tire. there are actually specs now for most dealers that are acceptable for there vehicles. i know lexus, and infinity have higher standards than most. in my experience working as a tech at a few dealers where i have had tires on a car that where in balance and out on road force measurment. once corrected the vibrations where gone. call some local dealers and find out what kind of tire balancer they use.

• 2 months later...
you could just go out and get you a set of new wheels :lol: i got me some WRX wheels w/ potenzas and only 3k on them off of e-bay. it cost me $460 shipped. my brother did the same a couple months ago and it cost him $420 shipped. just another option :rolleyes:

Archived