LegacyGT.com

TPMS Is Bugging Out!

davidmichaelmalloy

My TPMS light comes on, goes out, then comes on and stays on. I checked my tire pressure on all 5 tires (yes I even checked the spare in the trunk) and the tire pressure is within a couple pounds of the recommended PSI. When this first started happening, I noticed the front driver side tire would lose about 15-20lbs over a weeks time. Being the fool I am (I accept all criticism for doing this) I pumped in some fix-a-flat and immediately drove it in hopes that it wouldn't dry into a rock in one section of the tire.

Now I've noticed a little shake in the steering wheel when I cross the 65-70mph threshold. I hope I didn't mess up the TPMS sensor in that specific tire, but can I just get a single new tire since the mileage is low and replace the TMPS sensor in the valve stem?

How many miles are on the tires/car?

Did you check to see if there was a puncture in the tire?

What is a couple psi? 2-3psi low is enough to cause the TPMS light to come on if it is set at 30psi.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

How many miles are on the tires/car?

Did you check to see if there was a puncture in the tire?

What is a couple psi? 2-3psi low is enough to cause the TPMS light to come on if it is set at 30psi.

There are just over 9,400 miles on the car and tires. The suggested PSI is 44 and the tires are somewhere between 40 and 44. I haven't been able to locate a puncture, but that's why I foolishly used Fix-A-Flat.

do not take this to hard. the fix-a-flat has now made the tire out of balance that is your vibration. where are you getting 44psi because my 2005 gt door fram says 33/35 and over filling your tires can do bad things. and as for just getting one new tire you should be ok i mean you only have 9400 just as you know make sure it is the same kind of tire do not change it at all. and lastly you should not patch a tire that has fiz-a-flat in it the patch will pull off i guess you could plug it but that is only if you are ok the the vibration.

There are just over 9,400 miles on the car and tires. The suggested PSI is 44 and the tires are somewhere between 40 and 44. I haven't been able to locate a puncture, but that's why I foolishly used Fix-A-Flat.

The maximum pressure that particular tire can handle is that. Subaru does not recommend that kind of pressure. You should be at 32-35 psi, not 40-44. That will definately wear the center of the tire faster.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

do not take this to hard. the fix-a-flat has now made the tire out of balance that is your vibration. where are you getting 44psi because my 2005 gt door fram says 33/35 and over filling your tires can do bad things. and as for just getting one new tire you should be ok i mean you only have 9400 just as you know make sure it is the same kind of tire do not change it at all. and lastly you should not patch a tire that has fiz-a-flat in it the patch will pull off i guess you could plug it but that is only if you are ok the the vibration.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=ADVAN+A82A

I fill my tires to the maximum PSI because my TPMS sensor light goes off when it drops into the 30's. The above link shows the maximum PSI for the tires that are currently on my vehicle. If I do choose to lower the PSI, and my TPMS light constantly comes on, can I change the sensitivity?

That psi is what the tire manufacturer sets it at. However, that psi is away above what Subaru wants their vehicles tire psi to be set at. If you would click on the link labeled Maximum inflation pressure, you will see this

However the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire placard or in the vehicle's owners manual.
Always set your tire psi off what the manufacturer of the car recommends.

A TPMS will not go off until the tire psi is around 27 psi.

Well Subby is looking at the tire this weekend, hopefully it's defective and they can replace it (doubt they have my tire in stock). I'll have them check the TPMS to make sure it's not freaking out. My light was on this morning, and my tire pressure was:

FD: 40

RD: 42

FP: 42

RP: 42

ST: 60 < It's a donut

Well Subby is looking at the tire this weekend, hopefully it's defective and they can replace it (doubt they have my tire in stock). I'll have them check the TPMS to make sure it's not freaking out. My light was on this morning, and my tire pressure was:

FD: 40

RD: 42

FP: 42

RP: 42

ST: 60 < It's a donut

Tire PSI is too high on the regular tires.

It could be a tire sensor that needs to be recalibrated or it failed or TPMS module fault.

Archived