LegacyGT.com

Rear Tail Light Defect?

babeatto

Hi Guys,

Just picked up my legacy today. After a few hours drive and parking it in the garage, I noticed that my rear tail lights were fogging up inside. I don't think this is normal, but the salesman said, the condensation maybe there from the harsh weather in Indiana and told me to wait it out.

Should I be concerned? I sure don't want this "fog" to disappear than reappear later on in the future. Then the dealer will have an excuse to blame me for the problem.

Thanks for your inputs.

Personally, I would have the dealer document the fact that you came in to have it looked at or serviced. (and I would try and get a receipt or something that says they looked at it and determined it was normal). That way, if you have problems in the future, you're covered. (you hope :) )

-Moto

I don't think this should be happening. Fogging up indicates moisture inside the light assembly, which can lead to problems. Whenever I have seen this in the past, it is because of a bad seal around the light.

I have actually seen some taillights with INCHES of water in them - amazes me how people don't notice this (or care).

The fogging thing is something I noticed on the demo that I test drove. It is caused by a bad seal on the lens that let water in. Its condensation from it being cold outside and warm inside of the housing from the bulbs. Its a defect and its not going away by itself. Take it back to the dealership and have them replace it. The only way for you to fix it is to take the assembly out of the car and let it dry out inside your house for a day. You'll have to reseal every possible seam that moisture could have gotten in through. If it happens to my car then you can bet I'm just taking it in and having it replaced. Condensation in a light housing is not normal and not acceptable on a new car.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived