LegacyGT.com

GPS Power in Cubby

Does anyone know what wires to splice into behind or near the cubby in order to power my Magellan 3250 which is going to be installed in the cubby.

On this website I have found a cable that uses a 10-30 volt source to power a GPS.

http://gilsson.stores.yahoo.net/mama323242ac.html

Any help would be appreciated. Also include pictures if possible.

Ignore my post above as I was thinking of another one of my cars.

I pulled the Legacy cubby out and had a look see where I made my connections for the GPS. On the connector plugging into the back of the info center I used the red/yellow wire for +12v and the black/yellow wire for ground. My older model Magellan is powered through the cradle it mounts in so I cut the cig lighter plug off the end and tapped into the info center wiring.

I picked up another cradle so that I can take out the GPS unit itself and then use it in other vehicles like rentals when traveling.

okay so its okay to use my cigarette lighter plug cable, cut the end off, and then connect it?
Yes, but...

1.) Be sure to maintain the proper polarity of the barrel connector.

2.) Be aware that the lighter plug usually contains the fuse for the device it's powering.

okay thanks for all the help. I just installed the GPS in the cubby and was able to route the original gps power cable to the cigarette lighter in the center console. It is sooooo nice. I will have pictures up soon. BTW I was able to fit a Magellan 3250 with the cubby door still functional.

It was a very tight fit since the screen of the 3250 is as tall as the cubby is. I had to the the top and the bottom of the cubby out, along with shaving parts of the back side of the door and the middle screw hole in the trip computer. I had to be careful not to shave off anything that affect the overall function or the cosmetic look, but it is possible with a dremel. If anyone needs any more specific directions on how to fit the 3250 into the cubby with the door PM me.

Archived