LegacyGT.com

Sportshift

I've driven a couple different vehicles with automatics with steering wheel shift controls. This should be similar to Subaru's Sportshift, if I'm not mistaken. I'm posting my opinion in hopes that I'm just missing something, and y'all can fill me in. When I drove these vehicles, I quickly decided that I don't like it. If you get the car in the twisties, there will inevitably be times when you are shifting and turning at the same time. But if the shift buttons are on the steering wheel, then the buttons are constantly moving around. When piloting 3,400lbs. of metal at high speeds near the limits of traction, would you want to be stabbing at a moving target to hit the right gear? With a manual, in the USDM, the shifting mechanism is always at your lower right, and you right hand can be trained to find it in a fraction of a second, even with your eyes closed. With the sportshift, the shifting mechanism is spinning in a circle. You have to take an extra second or so to find the right button, track it down and push it. All to often (for me) this resulted in late shifts. Am I missing something?

They have twisties in Florida? :mrgreen: Now I'm a manual person, but I can't imagine it would be that much harder to for the fraction of a second pitch the shift lever front or back when turning hard enough to make it more difficult to find the buttons. Call me old skool, but I just hate all the buttons and such on the wheel. I was driving in a Ferrari simulator in Vegas last year, and I found it much harder to be shifting with buttons than rowing the box. But that's just me and probably what I'm used to. If you are looking at tracking, I'm told this is defintely not the tranny for you as it will heat up faster on the track while in manual mode and will put itself in normal auto mode until it cools enough. A tranny oil cooler (or larger one if there is already one) would be necessary.

Paddle shifters offer the same problem (assuming they're attached to the back of the steering wheel). If you are shuffle-steering or palm-steering, your hands are not at 10/2. 10/2 works in track situations in an F1 car, b/c the steering wheel is really small and simply doesn't turn very far from lock to lock. But in a normal car, lock to lock can be over two revolutions!

Yes the buttons at warp speed in twisties can be quite messy regardless what cog u swap to. The only way to maybe fix this if u wanted to use the buttons, is have it so the buttons only shift up or down on either side of the oval. This could get messy especially with wiring at that, but if you could perfect a system, u would be way in front. Using the stick could be fun too although i do agree paddles would be much more the go. How can Ferrari be wrong ?? :o

What's the problem? You can always change gears on the center console on the Sportshift as well as the M3 w/ SMGII. As for shifting while turning, I can't think of much of a time when that is really appropriate to do. Downshift before you start turning and don't shift until you come out of it. If you shift mid-turn, you can get lift throttle oversteer if nothing else.

Not sure its actually about changing gears mid corner, its more about accidently changing gears mid corner by hitting the buttons as there is no way of turning them off or on. A change of gear mid corner could see u spearing off

Archived