LegacyGT.com

Slamming into 2nd = Neutral / Jammed shifter

Scruit

Accelerating from a dead stop to 65mph (was stuck behind a wreck on the freeway, accelerating into a space in adjacent lane )... I slammed the shifter into second and let out the clutch. It was not engaged in gear (spinning like neutral) so I tried to shift back into neutral then back to 2nd - but the shifter was stuck. Had to wrestle with the shifter for about 5 seconds to get it back into neutral. Then it was fine after that.

This is the second time it's happened - both time were when I slammed the shifter into second.

Anyone else see this??

Well, after the first time i happened I quit slamming it. In this case I just forgot. My main concern is whether this is an indication of a bad transmission, or if this is just what happens when you beat on a Subaru transmission.

Been driving stick fo nearly 20 years, never had a transmission do this before.

The only time a shifter got stuck on me was when my tranny went in my CRX. It got stuck in second. I slammed it out, and then it was stuck in reverse. Couldn't get it unstuck. Had to drive home in reverse....Thankfully, I was only two blocks from home.

• 2 weeks later...
sounds like you have a busted or misaligned shift fork/detents... I have had something like this happen in one of my old cars. That is no bueno! I drive my car "spirtedly" and no prob with my trans if you get it stuck and can't get it out of gear.... Busted internal shift linkage = trans out and teardown= $$$$

I think I know what's going on here ... but I can't fully explain what causes it.

For some reason, if you miss a gear slightly, it seems that you need to put the car back to neutral and let out the clutch to get the synchros to do their thing and get the car in gear again. Doesn't sound faulty to me, sounds like you just missed a gear. Probably not too much to worry about ... don't make a habit of it.

And yes, if you do miss the gear, it's a PITA to get in gear if you don't go back to neutral first.

Edit: never mind ... re-read your original post ... not the same.

mine has got jammed a couple of times from racing. As long as you dont pic your foot up off the clutch it shouldn't be a problem, just muscle it out. Ive never had a problem in almost 30K miles. This happened in my last car (trans am firehawk...2001) Had no problem with that car either in 45k miles.

Ya, now that you guys mention it I can remember a few times when I've missed second and had to muscle it out of that gear. Pretty rare for me, but I remember each time it happened I was trying to show off or was being watched or something so I was embarrassed I missed my shift, so when the stick wouldn't come out I just forced it. Never acknowledged it until now.

Ya, now that you guys mention it I can remember a few times when I've missed second and had to muscle it out of that gear. Pretty rare for me, but I remember each time it happened I was trying to show off or was being watched or something so I was embarrassed I missed my shift, so when the stick wouldn't come out I just forced it. Never acknowledged it until now.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Other than these two times the trans is fine.

I know what a bent shift fork feels like (although my experience is they're cast aluminim or al/mag alloy and will break right tunder the plastic wear liner rather than bend). I know the effect it has on the shifter and synchros. I know how long it takes AAA to get out to you when it's rush-hour and you NEED a flatbed. Good times. Goooood times.

Accelerating from a dead stop to 65mph (was stuck behind a wreck on the freeway, accelerating into a space in adjacent lane )... I slammed the shifter into second and let out the clutch. It was not engaged in gear (spinning like neutral) so I tried to shift back into neutral then back to 2nd - but the shifter was stuck. Had to wrestle with the shifter for about 5 seconds to get it back into neutral. Then it was fine after that.

This is the second time it's happened - both time were when I slammed the shifter into second.

Anyone else see this??

Why are you slamming gears?

When I say 'slamming' I mean changing gears very quickly. The situation I was in was on a freeway where the cars in front of me stopped because of a wreck. The car behind me didn't look like it was going to slow down in time so I accelerated away into the next lane over to avoid being hit. I was at the top of first gear when I set off so I had to shift to second immediately. (That lane was still moving!) I was thinking more about the car behind me that was still doing 65 rather than babying the shifter - and that car nearly hit the car that was in front of me, so I know I'd have been rear-ended if I didn't accelerate away. In all other situations it's fine.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Happened to me again today. 2 months after the first time. Seems to still be driving and shifting fine. I think I just really need a STS. I think I'm way too use to them since all my previous cars have had them.

Interested to know the cause?

So, when you shift to 2nd, you are pulling back on the rod. You say you let the clutch out, and the car is in neutral, then it's really hard to get it out of "2nd" and back into neutral. And those with short-shifters seem to not have this problem...

My bet?

Bushing deflection. Shift too quickly, bushings deflect and the shift fork doesn't QUITE make it past the detent before you let out the clutch. Hard to get back out of gear because the synchro is dragging on 2nd gear. I bet if you stopped the car and turned it off, it would come out of gear like butter.

Why does an STS fix it? Because, mechanically it's very difficult to apply the same load to the lever, thus reducing bushing deflection.

Call it a fault of the "luxury" nature of our cars. Soft bushings are quieter and smoother. The down side is a greater deflection.

You could also fix this issue with aftermarket (Kartboy or other) bushings.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You used too much force when putting it into 2nd and thus moved it past the "gate" or whatever it would be called. Regardless the shifter rod moves past the "2nd" position and out of gear making it a 2nd neutral lol. I did the same thing in my Impreza, lesson learned,don't bang 2nd, or it goes in to 6 spd mode.Definetely a WTF moment, when you look down at the shifter all the way down past 2nd, and then release the clutch to find it out its not in gear. Ever since then my 2nd gear shifts have also been slow lol.

You used too much force when putting it into 2nd and thus moved it past the "gate" or whatever it would be called. Regardless the shifter rod moves past the "2nd" position and out of gear making it a 2nd neutral lol. I did the same thing in my Impreza, lesson learned,don't bang 2nd, or it goes in to 6 spd mode.Definetely a WTF moment, when you look down at the shifter all the way down past 2nd, and then release the clutch to find it out its not in gear. Ever since then my 2nd gear shifts have also been slow lol.

That is NOT what happens. Please don't post incorrect information.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That is NOT what happens. Please don't post incorrect information.

Huh, I had the same thing happen to me thus its based on fact as in I personally had the same exact issue stated by the OP, just because you disagree does not mean its incorrect.

And to restate my post I'll tell you why MY situation was different.

I bet if you stopped the car and turned it off, it would come out of gear like butter.

Made no difference, car is stuck in neutral past 2nd gear. Out of gear is out of gear , as long as the shifter is in the past 2nd position car off or on made no difference. It takes force to push it out, as if its past its proper place of rest, what I referred to as the "Gate".

Why does an STS fix it? Because, mechanically it's very difficult to apply the same load to the lever, thus reducing bushing deflection.

Call it a fault of the "luxury" nature of our cars. Soft bushings are quieter and smoother. The down side is a greater deflection.

You could also fix this issue with aftermarket (Kartboy or other) bushings.

Also not the case, Impreza at the time had both the Kartboy short-throw and the Kartboy bushings.

So I will restate my point based on actual experience with the matter. With a swift shift to 2nd, the shifter itself, will jump past 2nd, and be stuck in neutral as if you shifted past the "gate". By "gate" I mean position of where 2nd would be.

Your problem is different from what is happening here. Have you actually seen inside of the transmission? You can't shift "past" second gear. The is no "gate" that gives you a second neutral. If you are shifting "past" second gear, then you are pushing the shift collar THROUGH second gear (literally). It is impossible for both the gear and the shift collar to occupy the exact same space at the exact same time.

My understanding of and vast experience with the Subaru 5MT DOES say that what you posted is incorrect. It is simply impossible to shift "past" second into "6 speed mode".

What you are doing is something completely different than what is happening here. What you did, is probably try to shift SO fast and SO hard that you either broke something, bent something, or dislocated something.

In all my years of dealing with fast Subaru's, you do no service to yourself or others by trying to shift faster than the speed of light. In fact, if you REALLY want to hurt your car, keep shifting as fast as physically possible. You'll gain nothing, and lose a smoothly operating transmission.

Archived