LegacyGT.com

Catalytic Converters = $$$$$$$!!!!!!!

meliaant

I looked up a cali spec cat on subaruparts.com for a few different model years. Some of them were upwards of 1600 bucks. Whereas non cali spec (non pzev) were only 400 bucks. Considering you may need 2 of them... this is not good news.
But you're in luck. CT has adopted California emissions standards, beginning with the 2008 model year. That means your 2.5i PZEV 2008 Legacy has coverage for the cats (and anything else which causes a CEL) for 15 years/150,000 miles. Read your Warranty booklet.

cats have copper wound into them so it is worth $$$ on the black market. but $3800 is them ripping you off. call any dealership for a full exhaust today and you wont get even near that price.

no, it's actually platinum but still... if you can get catted after market DP for $1000, $3800 is a rip off!

If you are out of warranty, I would say just use all that cash to go stage 2!

So I should have sold all the crap I banged out of there when I gutted the stock pipe?

If you'd sold it to someone who needed it and bought a catted cobb downpipe you'd probably have made money. Don't gut your cats (either type)

(Selling it to be re-used isn't legal, but then neither is gutting your cat)

OEM cats are a horrible rip-off. It doesn't reflect production cost in any way, but simply that the OEM has a near lock of CARB legal cats.

It'sa massive profit margin created by regulations that create a monopoly -- except for extremely high volume cars, there aren't CARB legal cats mad for cars except OEMs.

It's disgusting profiteering and there should be some regulation of price. And there's no incentive to make this part last longer than the emssions warranty. VW sells 2.8L v6 cats for $2800. These cats are known to fail every 100k mi are so. $$$ for VW.

You can thank my alma mater for the cats in the first place. ******* WPI, robbing my horse power and making my car more expensive.

You forgot almost single-handedly making LA air almost breathable.

Cats make the air so much cleaner, it's irresponsible to remove them. Esp when high-flows are so cheap.

yes steal cats and sell them. my friend came outside one morining to start his truck only to hear open exhaust:lol:

This is becoming more and more common as the economy gets worse and scrap prices keep rising. There hash been a rash of cat-con thefts in some of the train station parking lots around here.

Subaru just had a price change on their converters and yes some of them can be damn near $1800 for the converter itself.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is amusing.

I would cut my penis off and fry it for breakfast before I would give any bastard company $1800 or more for a catalytic converter. OMG, what are they thinking?

Are there any recorded instances of a human-being actually paying that sum for a catalytic converter on a Subaru?? That is just CRAZY. I could see a high-end car brand like Porsche or Ferrari charging that, but a Subaru?

This thread is amusing.

I would cut my penis off and fry it for breakfast before I would give any bastard company $1800 or more for a catalytic converter. OMG, what are they thinking?

Are there any recorded instances of a human-being actually paying that sum for a catalytic converter on a Subaru?? That is just CRAZY. I could see a high-end car brand like Porsche or Ferrari charging that, but a Subaru?

Anyone who wants a CARB legal legacy gt with over 80k who needed a cat.

It's the only option.

Archived