LegacyGT.com

Drivers Side Door Handle Broke

I pulled the door open and I heard the sound of metal falling into the bottom of my door. A piece of the door handle mechanism is now rolling around in the bottom of my door.

Any tips or DIY on how to take the door apart and attempt to repair the handle? It's a 2005 with 48K so it is out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

There are steps in this thread to take the panel off: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20069

Once you get in there, see what exactly has broken. Take a pic of what broke, and many members can get you the part # without having to deal with your local parts dept.

Order it online for cost, it's generally close to double at the dealership upfront, fyi.

• 4 weeks later...

So I took the door off easy enough thanks to the link above. It appears that the door handle on the outside is not connecting to the metal bar tham goes down into the open/close mechanism abotu halfway down the door. Can I remove the door handle assembly from the outside or do I have to take the metal part of the interior door off next?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

You are going to have to take the inner panel off and whatever else inside the door to get it out. It doesn't take too much effort. Once you learn how those clips on the metal bars work, it's simple.

Just make sure your window is rolled up all the way, or else it is going to get in the way of taking the handle out.

Archived