LegacyGT.com

After market rims

Epitaph

Who here has them? If you do you should post some pictures, i'd like to see what they look like on the legacy.

I have the ADR M-Sport rims on my car now...is there any way that they fit on this car? Their aledigly popular with the WRX (as this quote from the webpage says) "the m-sport is very popular for the staggered fitment crowd, particulary amongst the Infiniti G35 and the Subaru WRX. Quite possibly the most popular ADR wheel of 2003, this wheel is available for staggered applications in 18 and 19 inch diameters with 8.5 and 9.5 inch widths." anyone who knows more about this stuff got some input?

Who here has them? If you do you should post some pictures, i'd like to see what they look like on the legacy.

I have the ADR M-Sport rims on my car now...is there any way that they fit on this car? Their aledigly popular with the WRX (as this quote from the webpage says) "the m-sport is very popular for the staggered fitment crowd, particulary amongst the Infiniti G35 and the Subaru WRX. Quite possibly the most popular ADR wheel of 2003, this wheel is available for staggered applications in 18 and 19 inch diameters with 8.5 and 9.5 inch widths." anyone who knows more about this stuff got some input?

I'll make it simple for you and give you direct answers to your concerns, but please do searchs on what you are looking for because this board has full of information provided by people like me. I can't tell you if your M-Sport will fit on the GT if you do not provide the specs of the rim on your thread.

For the M-Sport, as long as your version has 5x100 bolt pattern along with either the 43 or 48 (48 is preferred) offset for the 7.5" wide wheel, you are set. For a 7" wide wheel 40 and 48 are fine as well, but again, use 48. The M-Sport does not come in 8" or wider for Legacy GT applications (per the listed sizes on http://www.adrwheels.com , check your local ADR dealer for custom sizing available, usually not since ADR is a mass-production wheel company).

You should not use a staggered fitment (IE: 17" front with 18" rear or 17"x7" with 17"x8" in the rear) because you have an all wheel drive car. All rims on an AWD should match in size UNLESS you have a racing setup that you know you wish to achieve.

I repeat:

STAGGERED RIM SETUPS SHOULD NOT BE USED ON ALL WHEEL DRIVE CARS UNLESS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A RACE SETUP AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO THE DIFFERENTIALS

Few exceptions to this rule goes to super AWD exotic cars such as a Porsche Carrera S4, Lamborghini AWD (post Countach era) cars.

If you wish to run a staggered fitment, please do your own homework on what you need to do on any possible modifcations to the axles and differentials.

Keefe

Keefe

I'll make it simple for you and give you direct answers to your concerns, but please do searchs on what you are looking for because this board has full of information provided by people like me. I can't tell you if your M-Sport will fit on the GT if you do not provide the specs of the rim on your thread.

For the M-Sport, as long as your version has 5x100 bolt pattern along with either the 43 or 48 (48 is preferred) offset for the 7.5" wide wheel, you are set. For a 7" wide wheel 40 and 48 are fine as well, but again, use 48. The M-Sport does not come in 8" or wider for Legacy GT applications (per the listed sizes on www.adrwheels.com , check your local ADR dealer for custom sizing available, usually not since ADR is a mass-production wheel company).

You should not use a staggered fitment (IE: 17" front with 18" rear or 17"x7" with

Keefe

yea all 4 rims are 18' so i dont have to worry about the staggered fitment thing, buti sure dont know the specs on the rim, when I get home ill look on the recipt or w/e and post em. then can you help? :cool:

damn i didnt even notice that section on theese fourms, lol, thanks

SFGR415, that could have been a fitment issue to begin with for race reasons (since that's much of a reason for a typical modder to get). You can cram in a set of 8.5" or 9"s all the way around on both cars. Most of the time for someone who goes that route of making the rear pair lighter (by maybe a 1lbs or 2) doesnt make too much of a difference for the differentials to really notice, but for reliability reasons for track use, I am sure the differentials run thicker oil than stock. It's also possible it's a whole new differential in the center and rear as a result of the tire choices. This is true when it's using the same size tire all the way around.

It could have been a suspension issue of wanting a better feedback in steering while leaving some flex in the rear for the sidewalls to cushion some of the lateral forces. It depends on what the car was set up to do. If there were running 9s up front and 8.5s in the rear, I doubt the tires were any wider than 255 off the top of my head. I am guessing the race engineers decided to go as wide as possible with different offsets that are available on that rim model (mass produced rims dont have many choices in offsets and such).

Epitaph, It's best to make sure all the rims are the same width to allow the same weight per corner and axle. It's not a good idea to run different widths (different weights) on a stock car using stock LSDs (even though the LSDs make be able to handle the difference). The last thing you want to mess with later is offset differences from mass production wheels. Just because the wider wheels/tires fits in the rear axles doesnt mean that they can be used in the front axles (dont forget steering distances/occupation of the wider rims).

If anyone wish to run a staggered fitment, just know what you are getting yourself into. Even the Skyline GT-Rs run 285/30/18s all the way around.

Keefe

Keefe

It's not that bad to run 245s on WRXs and Evos (it's not that much of a difference anyways if you look under the fender and the geometry, very common in Solo2 racing for Street Touring). I believe The Jun WRX and a few other JGTC WRXs are around the ballpark of running tires similar of 265s with 17"x9" and 17"x9.5" rims.

Do you remember the "Cone Basher" by Cobb Tuning? Their WRX was running a set of 285/30/18 Hoosier tires on their Solo2 car with custom fender flares. Heck, I run sizes from 225 to 255 without any issues all the way around on my GT. I am sure I can run a set of 265 tires or 275 tires by just rolling the fenders.

Keefe

Keefe

Epitaph, It's best to make sure all the rims are the same width to allow the same weight per corner and axle. It's not a good idea to run different widths (different weights) on a stock car using stock LSDs (even though the LSDs make be able to handle the difference). The last thing you want to mess with later is offset differences from mass production wheels. Just because the wider wheels/tires fits in the rear axles doesnt mean that they can be used in the front axles (dont forget steering distances/occupation of the wider rims).

If anyone wish to run a staggered fitment, just know what you are getting yourself into. Even the Skyline GT-Rs run 285/30/18s all the way around.

Keefe

i got 235/40/18s all the way around?

235/40/18 should be an 8" wide rim or a 7.5" with the tire being all stretched out.

You might have a rubbing issue if you lower the car more than 1.25".. I havent checked the sizing of that tire on the GT.. namely because that's a large tire diameter. What tires do you have??

SFGR415: I have already driven this car hard with a 2" drop using Zeals (great dampening, so the car doesnt "dive" as much) and running 18"x8" @ +51mm offset with the Toyo T1-S (255/35/18). [see my Avatar]. And just to be safe, I took off the rubber stripping that is on the rear fender lip to make sure that the tire clears the fenders' edges

Here's a picture of them on while I was accelerating on the highway at 75mph?

http://www.salazar-racing.com/images/DSCN1560.JPG

Keefe

Keefe

235/40/18 should be an 8" wide rim or a 7.5" with the tire being all stretched out.

You might have a rubbing issue if you lower the car more than 1.25".. I havent checked the sizing of that tire on the GT.. namely because that's a large tire diameter. What tires do you have??

Keefe

Dope picture, the more i see of this car the more i like.

I have Nitto (their ZR rated, if that makes a difference?) ones.

Beautiful pic Keefe...ok...so you know the JDM VIP look (wide rim, smaller rubber = stretched look)...would i achieve that by runnin 18x9's with a 255/35/18 Bridgestone S-03? If you look at the pic, your tires are flat with the wheel if not, come out a little. I want the opposite. Also, would you be able to lower the car a little more (maybe .25 to .50 inch) so the car has more of a tucked look. I probably wont be tracking my car much (maybe once or twice a year really)...so mostly for street and looks (why i want the VIP look)

Dope picture, the more i see of this car the more i like.

I have Nitto (their ZR rated, if that makes a difference?) ones.

I assume 555s.. I dont think you'll have a problem putting them on the GT, just dont lower your car that much when you do lower the car with springs unless you have coilovers with adjustable ride height. The "ZR" rating is the speed rating of which the tire can handle (usually Z can handle over 168 mph, which I decided to never buy because my car can't even go that fast to put that much stress on the steel belts and plys, Y and W is good enough for me with a softer street compound for more grip.. Y and W are cheaper too).

Keefe

Keefe

Beautiful pic Keefe...ok...so you know the JDM VIP look (wide rim, smaller rubber = stretched look)...would i achieve that by runnin 18x9's with a 255/35/18 Bridgestone S-03? If you look at the pic, your tires are flat with the wheel if not, come out a little. I want the opposite. Also, would you be able to lower the car a little more (maybe .25 to .50 inch) so the car has more of a tucked look. I probably wont be tracking my car much (maybe once or twice a year really)...so mostly for street and looks (why i want the VIP look)

If you are looking for the stretched "VIP" look (which I never heard of VIP being related to such as you described before, usually VIP would be HUGE rims with SUPER THIN tires and a body dropped "dead" as some of my race friends call it), you should go with 18x8 with a 215/40/18 (rare size) or a 215/35/18 (kinda dangerous for potholes and daily driving in the USA) or 18x8.5 with a 235/35/18, 225/35/18 instead to stretch the rubber out.. just becareful when you drive because you wont have a side wall of the tire to protect the rim and expect a lot of "curb rash" on your rims even though you didnt hit a curb (the depth of the pothole and asphalt will do the damages alone).

I could lower my car more if I use a better offset on the rims (since what you see in the pic is a 18x7.5 with a +42mm, the car could have been lower if I had a 18x7.5 witha +50mm offset for suspension travel reasons and turn up the dampening [bound adjustment for those who have double adjustments on shocks]). It's not a good idea to tuck the wheels on purpose from just ride height unless you have the suspension to handle it, or expect to pay to replace blown "wet" shocks. The ride will be very crappy (and I dont mean it will just be bumpy, you wont have any response from the shocks eventually, and the springs will do all the dirty work = not a good thing). I have already rubbed up on the front fender liners from the tires hitting it on the track. I raised my car 1/8" to make sure the car wouldnt rub up on it.. I would say the shock is bottoming out, it's that the ride height is too low and the tire is the one that is bottoming out. Sure, it'll look good when it's not rolling, but when you do, it's gonna look bad when you have to slow down and swerve around potholes all day and holding up traffic because you are having a hard time going up a driveway or something. In my opinion, that's not very streetable, especially not for the occassional spirited driving on a street setup.

Cars in Japan can ride the VIP look because their roads are a lot better in condition than ours. Also, they run 19s and 20s (if you want street looks, get those sizes instead, 18"s wont cut it for VIP look when the car comes with OEM 17" rims.. aka "+1 sizing" vs VIPs "+3 sizing"). If you even thinking about tracking the car, your street setup will not survive the track. You'll need to reconfigure the car to make it handle properly. Too low of the car wont make use of your suspension causing your tires to get a really bad beating, worst case, rolling the tire off the rim since you have no play in the sidewalls.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived