LegacyGT.com

outback 3.0 SEDAN?

err... i have never heard of 3.0 SEDAN instead of wagon. do any of u have more pics about it? its looks weird to me. i saw it at subaru.com but i have no idea why cant they just put a 3.0 into a GT sedan instead. and yes, it looks really funny! :!:

They've been doing it for a bit. I am also confused for it's actual purpose, especially now with the OB in the small truck/SUV class. Wagon= Utility as per it's sport utility alternative. Sedan= not utility but with a higher ride. Just seems like an oxymoron per their marketing direction with the OB, an SUV alternative. I dunno! *shrug*

:rolleyes: If they can do it with an engine that's already made, why spend R&D dollars to reinvent the wheel for something heavier? BTW, the OB 3.0R in case you didn't notice which produces 250hp, though only 219lb-ft of torque. The 3.0R doesn't use a 2.5L turbo model. ;)

Apparently Subaru did something right since the Outback SUS, as it was once called, caught on and has sold fairly well in the last 7 years. In late 1995 Subaru decided to experiment with the idea of an Outback sedan up in the New England and Northwestern regions. The car got decent response and the first SUS was offered later in 1996 as a MY97. Had they done this kind of research with the Baja they may have had an easier time deciding whether or not they'd want to produce it. If you remember back in 1995 the first Outbacks were merely two tone painted Legacy wagons without raised supensions. That was back in the days when the R & D dept. actually studied public response and used it for product planning. :)

• 2 months later...

Archived