LegacyGT.com

Another blacked-out grill

LandShark

Got bored this weekend so I decided to try the do-it-yourself black out of the LGT grill. Just went to Pep-Boys and bought some spray paint primer and black paint.

Came out okay. Did some quick, light sanding with 400 grit paper. Fought a few spots were the can spit out blotches of paint that dries in seconds. Sanded most of it out. Frankly, up close & personal you can tell its a spray paint job. But from any reasonable distance it looks good enough. I'm satisifed with it for now until I have enough play money to waist on a $350 JDM grill.

The picture makes it look even worse. We're having what we call "Santa Ana winds" here in southern Cal. and it's blowing a bunch of sand/dust in from the high desert. My car is coated with dust now even though I just washed it (shit!). I wiped it away on the grill right before I took the pic. The brownish smears are just dust. The grill is nicely black everywhere except the Subaru logo.

I know this subject is getting old hat now. Just thought I'd share it anyway.

DSCN7959.JPG.81cb5ab9c9ccb07e525948d7dd120051.JPG

DSCN7960.JPG.a6ae12c7e562c7080a5199649c0a555b.JPG

not bad looking, I have been thinking about doing it myself. I have seen spray cans where you put whatever paint you want in and was thinking of using a bottle of touch-up paint as the color. I have only seen these in CT, there are plenty of thing legal there that are not in other states, like 190 proof grain alcohol. :)

I like it a lot- I may do something like this myself after seeing yours. :cool:

THANKS!

only took about 2 hours including the masking, sanding, priming and painting. The hardest part was the waiting for the black paint to dry enough to risk putting it back on. you know how it is, you want to see it right now!

it really looks nice with the soft hood cover. i know that SOA does not recommend the soft facia for the GT (turbo). i presume because the lip can disturb the air flow into the hood scoop and reduce the intercooler performance. i really don't see that happening, myself. the soft cover fits nice and snug.

anyway, i'm putting on the larger Perrin TMIC this week so if it is a loss factor the larger intercooler should suffice. i'm sure i'll get toasted by nay-sayers but it's my car and i like the way it looks. if my front bumper keeps picking up dings from road debris i might just move up to the full soft bra. i've always liked that look on cars, although it's nicer on a color like silver or white, not dark blue like mine.

I think the metallic black I used makes it look OEM. Even only a few inches away it looks like it came that way since it also matches the inside of the headlights.

Nothing "old" about the topic at all - I think they should all be black!

i did mine the other day too

but i removed the cross beam it needs to come out again and have some more smoothing where i removed the "edge?"

i might try a differnt color than ultra flat black

http://www.kineteria.com/share/Mvc02230.jpg

but i removed the cross beam it needs to come out again and have some more smoothing where i removed the "edge?"

I think if you put some mesh (painted black) behind it you have the JDM sport grill :cool: Have a pic from the front?

Guest *Jedimaster*

http://www.kineteria.com/share/Mvc02230.jpg

Nice, clean job. I agree that some mesh would make it 100% nicer (but it is nice) :cool:

http://www.kineteria.com/share/Mvc02222.jpg

sorry my digital camera has been drooped too many times

it would be done if i could get it painted but its really spendy

mesh won't work as the back isn't smooth its more of and upsidedown "L" shape

the paint supplies alone for satin white pearl are $110

has any one ever treid a plastic welder?

Archived