LegacyGT.com

strange engine noise??

Hello everybody,

Let me quickly introduce myself.. My name is Ryan and I have been lurking around for a few months, and I must say that there is alot of really good information in this forum. I am from NY (just north of NYC) but am working in PA right now. I own a 2005 LTD Legacy GT 5mt sedan, and I love it.

Let me get into the modifications that have been done. About a month ago I had Tein Flex coilovers installed and she handles great now. Two weeks ago I had progress front and rear sway bars and a GTSPEC front strut tower bar installed. She handles even better now.

Here is where the problem is..

I am hearing a crackling noise coming from under the hood, similar to when you are popping pop corn, but at a very low volume. This noise occurs kind of randomly, even when I am in nuetral sitting at a light. When I am driving with the widows open I can hardly hear it due to the wind noise, but with the windows closed it resonates through the cabin just loud enough to hear. I have not noticed this noise after I got the coilovers installed (still before I got the sways and strut tower bar installed). The same day that I got the sways and strut towers installed this noise came about. I dont know how it could be related to suspension work? All nuts and bolts have been gone over to be sure that they are snug and all of the urethane bushings have all been lubricated. Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

BTW, she has 58k miles and has been kept up with regular service. The engine is very smooth and she drives like a dream. Just this noise is bugging me. Thanks..

Oh, I did a search and came up with a handfull of threads that address a similar issue, but mine seems to be related to suspension work.

I was checking this one out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93833

Thanks again..

I was just on my way to work this morning and I noticed that when I am NOT on the gas the crackling/popping noise is there. It does not matter if I am in nuetral or coasting in gear. The noise stops or decreases to just about nothing when I am on the gas and in gear. strange..

52 views and 1 response.. Any help would be appreciated!!

I am from rockland county, I live where the NJ Parkway begins (Chestnut Ridge)

Right now I am staying just outside of philly working for Siemens Med as an IT contractor.. My contract is up in Sept so I will be back in NY then.

Archived