LegacyGT.com

@005 Subaru Outback Sport

Hi, I plan to purchase a 05 Subaru outback Sport with 4 speed automatic today. I wonder if anybody has any experience/recommendation of its performance/problem and/or price range (dealer qouted me for $500 above invoice). Than You in advance.

Since everyone here has the legacy based outback and not the impreza based outback sport, you won't get much of a response. Try www.subaruoutback.org in the outback sport forum....

Hey Jedi, thanks for the help! :D

PN you should definately stop on by whenever you'd like and us TRUE Outbackers will help you all that we can ;)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/_images/logo1.gif

Since that car is really an impreza (with a tougher suspension and more options) I'd head over to http://www.i-club.com

But the major things about the OBS/Impreza are:

- Its a small car, it isn't as comfy as a legacy/full size outback

- Its a blast to toss around in the snow ;)

- Gas milage is around 28mpg highway in real life driving

- The manual transmission is something to watch. If driven normally its great. If you beat on it, the grip from the AWD will put a lot of stress on the tranny.

- The differentials are NOT as good as the legacy. The rear and front are open diffs.

- If this is your first AWD car, don't expect it to just walk right through snow. Its a different kind of driving stlyle (especially the stick). But when you get the hang of it and realize that, yes, the back end does slide periodically, its a good winter car.

- TIRES!!!!! The stock tires are the worst I've ever driven on in the snow. If you live in a snowy area, plan on replacing them.

Sorry to all the legacy people for the long post. But I suppose a lot of what I said applies to your cars too :)

What? Do you have something against the Outback label? :)

hhhmmm.... no... in fact I used to own a 2001 Outback Sport before my current Impreza TS. I wish I still had it, I loved the styling, but Subaru refused to acknowledge the wheel bearing problem with that year.

Just pointing him in the right direction. The OBS is just an impreza with different paint and features.

Just pointing him in the right direction. The OBS is just an impreza with different paint and features.

I by no means am trying to start a fight or arguement, but it seems that anything that says Outback on it is generally outcast from any Impreza based board, whether it be the Legacy Outback or Outback Sport. As for "pointing him in the right direction," I'm sure the OBS guys over at Outback.org could help him out far more than a group that is primarily a WRX type crowd ;)

Most of the OBS guys I know around the net feel neglected by that same crowd, places like NABISCO, etc are just that which drive them away. I'm not ripping on i-club.com as I know that is a quality tuner site, but my perception I get when an Impreza owner telling him that he needs to be going in the "right direction" kinda puts of the vibe that an Outback site may not be up to par with what a WRX can provide. Maybe I'm just reading into it a bit too far, sorry... 12 hour day, 4 hours of sleep last night, hockey game tonight, post game beer drinking, me need sleep! :lol:

I'll get off my soapbox now, I'm just glad to meet another Subie owner :)

I have to agree that NASIOC is mostly WRX types, but they do have other forums too. They have a Outback forum & a Forester forum. There is knowedge to be gained there. Make sure to investigate all the internet forums out there including subaruoutback.org.:D

Chuck

Archived