LegacyGT.com

LGT vs. Golf VR6

It was a silver current model Golf VR6, not sure if it was a GTi or not, it was debadged. It was modded with at least an intake and exhaust (that's how I knew it was a VR6 - the 4 banger doesn't sound like that), not sure what else. It was late at night (or early morning) on a mostly deserted freeway, and he came flying by me at 100+ mph. He slowed down, I caught up to him, and the next time he took off I went too.

He got the jump on me but after a few seconds it was clear that I was slowly reeling him in. I just about caught him when we let off. Next time he went first but with less of a lead on me, and I slowly pulled in front of him. Then we slowed down again and this time I went first, putting a gap between us and then just stretching it out. By the time I hit the speed limiter at ~140, he was pretty far back.

The final run, he got the initial lead, I reeled him in, passed him and put an additional couple car lengths on him before I let off. So apparently mildly modded VR6s aren't any match for a stock Legacy GT either. I'd hate to see what I'd do to him from a stop. :)

Yeah, actually the R32 was my primary choice before the LGT but the hatch just wasn't growing on me. R32 is no slouch and its exhaust note is quite possibly the best you will ever hear (imagine that of an M3 minus that annoying metallic sound) but it is still not as fast as the LGT stock on stock. Put several tens of thousands into it with a nice HPA TT kit however and you have yourself one mean 11 second bugger.

Nice kill, I hate VWs.

This is sort of a kill story but not really. About 2 weeks ago there was a family party and one of my cousins came with her boyfriend in his Jetta. We were out for dinner when they came and they thought that they were in the wrong driveway so they tried to leave but the driveway was steep and icy and he couldnt make it up it. We get back to the house to find the Jetta with it's hood open in the parking area and the next day we find out he melted the water pump. :lol:

So me being the smart ass that I am kept driving up the driveway in reverse all weekend. :lol:

Had a little run with an R32 coming back from skiing the other week. Not from a stop as we had just been through tolls, but side by side from probably a 60 roll. 3rd gear, had him just at the back of my trunk when I cut it at 110.

Both exchanged the thumbs up, the whole time all i could hear was that sweet exhaust. It is very nice. It might have helped me slightly that it was like -3 degrees without wind chill.

Archived