LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Problems

mtiller

Hi All,

I had the spark plugs in my Jap Import 96 Legacy GT Twin Turbo replaced with NGK Iridium IX plugs a few days ago. The car is now misfiring at about 5500 - 7000 but only at fairly wide throttle settings.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

A few things:

- You may have a defective plug

- bad spark wire

- the spark wire may not have proper contact

- ignition coil pack may be bad or worn

- the plug's gap may need adjusting

These things may only be apparent when engine vibration increases at higher rpm, causing cold sparks.

I don't think its caused by hot sparks, as I use the same plugs in my '01 LGT without misfires (although its a non-turbo).

No problem. :)

Since you have to pull them out, you can try putting back your old plugs to see if the problem happens with them. If it does, then the problem is elsewhere. Otherwise its the new plugs.

Hi All,

I've checked one of the plugs (The others are too difficult to get to with the tools I've got at the moment) and it had been gapped by the mechanic at 1.0 mm which is the normally aspirated gap instead of the Turbo gap of .7 to .8 mm. The car needs new cam cover gaskets to fix an oil leak so I'm going to get them to do the rest when they replace those. Even fixing one has helped.

Thanks to everybody for their help with this.

Cheers

Mark

Elliot despite the problems I'm having at the moment I'd recommend the NGK Iridiums. Normal heat range for me are BKR6EIX-11.

• 11 months later...
Subaru replaced my plugs a few years back with some NGKs platinums. I had a misfire recently and replaced the plugs with Champions (another plug reccomended by Subaru). Upon removing the NGKs I found that they were the right size (thanks Subaru). The Champions were inexpensive and the car actually runs really, really well. Its got more power. We will see if the plugs last.

Archived