LegacyGT.com

Just installed XM reciever in my LGT

rallispec

That was waaay to much of a pain in the ass. I got the XM Commander unit and installed it up in the cubby. Looks really good, but dealing with all the quirks of that radio really suck.

I am using the XM fm modulator (wired) becuase of the lack of aux inputs, and the cd input hack is just too much work for my taste. But whats up with the antenna wire? I had to hack up the wire and create my own adapter cable...

Oh well -- in the end, it looks really good and it was worth the trouble. (i'm going to be really bitter if some company comes out with a stereo adapter kit / faceplate in the next month though )

I can post pictures if anyone is interested -- but basically it looks like arnox's GPS project: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7146

Now all i've got to do is get my AP and i'll be set for a while :)

I would like to see how you made the adapter if at all possible?

are you referring to the antenna adapter? I'll try and come up with a quick tuturial - but i did a pretty hack job of cutting and splicing cables becuase i was in a hurry.

As far as the install went - I used the bracket that came with the XM Commander unit - and used a dremel to shape it so that it would fit into the cubby properly. Then i used two metal 'L' brackets on the back of it to mount it to the top and bottom of the cubby. (as well as epoxy around the edges and sides to keep it from vibrating)

I didnt think ahead of time how the epoxy would react with the plastic - and you can still see some residue around the edges. I'm going to come up with a faceplate that goes around the entire edge of the bracket i made to give it a more finished look.

One really nice thing about doing this is that the door still folds up and down so you can hide the XM reciever. (also makes seeing the trip computer easier to see during the day -- it gets a lot of glare while the door is open)

anyhow -- thought i'd share. Let me know what you guys think. :)

631556049_DSCN1088(Medium).jpg.d51d89007a819b362b847dfa2521eadc.jpg

1234604887_DSCN1087(Medium).jpg.0f4042c697cef6ee9f03ae734a96e80c.jpg

one other thing -- the Commander unit looks really good when turned on and lit up. It has a blue backlight that matches the rest of the interior lighting.

edit with a close up pic so you can see how bad the glue looks on there now :(

700953972_DSCN1089(Medium).jpg.d7b3c0585ef60f76121df5c7e2e4973b.jpg

Archived