LegacyGT.com

Cusco Front Strut Bar Install

A heads up for everyone when you install the Cusco Front Strut bar on the 2005 Legacy GT Wagon.

First, separate the silver bar from the blue mounting plates. Then after removing your top nuts from each strut tower, position the blue plate over the exposed bolts. The one on the passenger side is easy to line up. Now snug up the top nuts on the passenger side

When you find that you can not get the blue plate over the bolts on the driver's side, stop cursing; do not pick up a sledge hammer or crow bar. Believe me I found it maddeningly frustrating when it would not drop over the bolts and into place.

Go and get your trusty hydraulic floor jack and slowly lift the front of the car and wheels off the ground; this will permit the strut to drop down. Now with the exposed bolts lower in the frame, you can very easily position the blue plate over the 3 slightly lowered mounting bolts.

Lower the car to the ground. Now snug up the top nuts on the drivers side. Attach the silver bar to the blue mounting plates (you will need a metric Allen Key)

Caution: do not lift the car so high that your hood/bonnet hits the ceiling, also do not lift the car so high that you drop the strut out of the tower and position.

Use a torque wrench to tighten the top nuts on each side and you are finished. I also applied loctite to the threads on the bolts before torquing the nuts down.

The instructions are in Japanese which I can read, and this method is not discussed even in the Japanese directions. Damn it!

Thanks for the info I had no problems installing my cusco bar by following your instructions especially since I lowered my GT (swift springs)

It would have been impossible to install without raising car off the ground

Thanks again!

• 4 months later...
Subscribed. Now if someone can only do a write up for the rear cusco bar?

I just installed a rear strut bar this afternoon - took about 20 minutes.

Pull floor cover from trunk.

Undo screws/bolt from side carpeting and remove/pull back from each side covering bolts.

Remove the 2 strut nuts from each side.

Position strut bar on the bolts and tighten.

I wanted the carpet to sit flush, so I cut 2 slits in the carpet for each strut mount. (possibly different for diff brands)

Reassemble and all should be well.

I just installed a rear sway this afternoon - took about 20 minutes.

Pull floor cover from trunk.

Undo screws/bolt from side carpeting and remove/pull back from each side covering bolts.

Remove the 2 strut nuts from each side.

Position strut bar on the bolts and tighten.

I wanted the carpet to sit flush, so I cut 2 slits in the carpet for each strut mount. (possibly different for diff brands)

Reassemble and all should be well.

Not a rear sway.. rear strut tower bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived