LegacyGT.com

Is This Chatter?

Metal2You

I have a little under 20K miles on my original 5MT GT clutch. Recently I've noticed what I presumes is referred to as clutch chatter when engaging in first gear before the car is warmed up. It is a fairly recent development.

It seems to happen around 1500 to 2000 RPM, which I don't think would be bogging the engine down, and if it were I think the feel would be more of a sluggish, low compression low torque situation, rather than the quick bucking in the drive train. That plus the fact it goes away once the vehicle warms up makes me suspect this is clutch chatter.

Is this clutch chatter? Is it normal with the stock clutch? Is my clutch worn? Should I take it in for warantee work? I might just use this as en excuse to upgrade the clutch and flywheel though.

• 2 weeks later...
This has just started happening to me at 22k miles on the clock. I drive the piss out of my car as much as possible so I am kinda figuring the clutch is dying and like you I am starting to look around to see what aftermarket options are available.
^ n00bs below this line

Mine started chattering before the car warmed up at about 30,000 miles on my 05 OBXT 5spd. I took it to the dealer and with no questions asked just my description they replaced the whole thing complete. Repeat: everything clutch related. It has been perfect ever since. The only other time I have gotten chatter on a Subaru clutch has been when the clutch hit 97,000 miles. Must have been my day.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

• 1 year later...
I had my clutch replaced at 24k and had the TO bearing replaced again at 50k. It is now chattering before warm up just like the OP stated. I just don't get it...I guess it will be going in again.
Rehab is for quitters.

• 1 month later...

Archived