LegacyGT.com

wheel offset question

ross6200

You will have fender clearance issues more than inboard clearance issues. Spacers will only make your wheels even lower offset, which won't help your situation. Ideally, a higher (+40 or higher) offset is definitely recommended.

Yeah - you're looking at significant clearance issues on the fender side with +35 offset. Read through some of the issues that others have encountered in Keefe's Wheel & Tire FAQ that axis008 provided above.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

To fit the wheels, yes technically they will fit. The company says it will fit because it's 5x100. They don't know that +35 is not for Subarus. Only certain VWs and Scion tCs have this as normal fitment.

However, they will stick out unless you modify your fenders and suspension.

In order to fit 19x8.5" +35mm, you'll need to roll AND pull your fenders, and get coilovers that have camber adjustability, dialing in about -2 to -3 degrees of camber (not sure exactly since I've never done it before). You may also have to get rear camber bolts, since I don't know how much camber you can get with just coilovers in the back. 225 tires may help I think. Maybe 215 would be better. Yes they will be stretched (so will 225s), but this is what it will take to get it to work.

If you can do it, props to you. I'd like to see it done. It's just very hard work, and hell on your wheel bearings, not to mention it's not everyone's cup of tea.

-ben

I called the wheel manufacturer, and they say this wheel WILL fit my 05LGT, as long as it is stock. I'll take their word for it, but still remove the liner to be safe. Then, I will roll if things rub or bottom out, I guess there are many factors that go into exact wheel fitment, and a +35 offset could work, depending on the wheel design....I guess????

You could probably make it work by stretching a very narrow tire and adding a lot of negative camber, but that extra width sticking out past the fenders will likely make it a tough fit without rolling.

The thing I'd be most concerned about though, would be the wheel bearing longevity as that's a full 20mm movement (+55 to +35) of the outside rim away from the hub, which will put a lot of stress on the hub bearings.

Good luck and post up pics when you're done.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If you are really set on these wheels, there is a way to make them fit.

Like mentioned above, you will need significant camber, and a good amount of fender pull. This is by no means an easy task.

Fronts

The front will require you to go to coilover with camber adjustment tophats/plates, or buy some camber plates for your stock struts. I only say camber plates with stock struts because of the low offset, inner clearance shouldn't be an issue. My 8.5 +48 wheels were fine with 235s, but 255s rubbed without some reworking of the camber. I would highly recommend you just go with coilovers, as it will ultimately be easier, and a slammed ride height will look so much better with this type of fitment. Please get at least a 235 on the wheel and rework your fenders to make them fit, rather than stretch a skinny tire on there.;)

Rears

Inboard clearance should be okay with this low offset, so we will leave that alone. You will definitely need to remove the rubber strip, roll the fender flat, and then pull the fender. You can do this with a rubber mallet and a thick towel for protection, along with a heat gun to soften the paint. I did a fender roll/pull on a local STi this way.

You cannot use camber plates in the rear for the Legacy. It is not a strut type suspension. The multi-link suspension requires that you use adjustable lateral links like these for camber adjustment. You will probably need like -3* of camber in the rear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I think there are errors with the data included in Keefe's wheel/offset guide that is stickied. I know for a fact there are people who are using wheels with offsets that, according to his guide should not fit, yet they do. Example: Exel TZ-10 in 18x7.5. These are offset of +35 according to Wheelmax.com. Detslider and a few other members of this forum *are* using these wheels and as far as I know, have not had to roll fenders.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
well you definitely answered my question about how they looked and if the rimsi just got would fit haha. i just got a set of 17 x 8 +35 and was worried they would stick out but if your 8.5 +35s look that nice than mine shouldnt have a problem at all. by the way i think they look pretty nice. maybe a little too wide but def not a big deals worth. good work and thanks for the info.

Okay, I'm going to jump in on this thread.

First off I'd like to say I read Xenock (?) FAQ thread that's pinned and it made my head spin... I'm not that wheel tire savvy.

So I found wheels I like and am wondering if they'd work with my 2006 2.5i wagon

http://www.lakeshorewheels.com/cgi-bin/csv/tire-fitment-1.pl?search=17-5x100-high

17x7.00, offset=42mm, Bolt Pattern=5x100mm

My question, I guess, is mainly aimed at the 42mm offset and if that's cool or not.

Okay, I'm going to jump in on this thread.

First off I'd like to say I read Xenock (?) FAQ thread that's pinned and it made my head spin... I'm not that wheel tire savvy.

So I found wheels I like and am wondering if they'd work with my 2006 2.5i wagon

http://www.lakeshorewheels.com/cgi-bin/csv/tire-fitment-1.pl?search=17-5x100-high

17x7.00, offset=42mm, Bolt Pattern=5x100mm

My question, I guess, is mainly aimed at the 42mm offset and if that's cool or not.

Well, his post seems to mostly address the GT's but if we are assuming the same fitments are needed for the 2.5i, the wheel you linked will work according to his post.

That said, the closer you get to an offset of +48 the better. You might want to keep looking at other alternatives just to insure the best fit.

Well, his post seems to mostly address the GT's but if we are assuming the same fitments are needed for the 2.5i, the wheel you linked will work according to his post.

That said, the closer you get to an offset of +48 the better. You might want to keep looking at other alternatives just to insure the best fit.

Thank you.

And yes as far as I can tell from what I've read and learned here, my '06 2.5i fitments are exactly the same as the GTs

I'll keep looking though.

Archived