LegacyGT.com

Severe Understeer

GoRilla

Interesting thing I had read about, and then experienced...

If your tire is low on pressure, so it has a sloppy sidewall, it actually FEELS like it is sliding until about 8/10ths...

So, add 2 psi to your fronts. Since you are not driving 8+/10ths on the road (I hope) it may be the extra sidewall slop is making you feel understeer, not truly experience it...

:spin:

Interesting thing I had read about, and then experienced...

If your tire is low on pressure, so it has a sloppy sidewall, it actually FEELS like it is sliding until about 8/10ths...

So, add 2 psi to your fronts. Since you are not driving 8+/10ths on the road (I hope) it may be the extra sidewall slop is making you feel understeer, not truly experience it...

Thanks - that's what I was thinking. My RF tire had a slow leak (between weekend checks) and when I pressed through a corner I got huge understeer. Turns out the tire was 3 psi off.

You don't have to be Peter Sollberg to drive a Subaru at 8/10s. The fact that Go~r detected/felt understeer is good enough for me so let's give that "point" a rest. ;)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Ok im tired of hearing it whitetiger. Your right, i am the suxor at driving.

It's hard to say what are you doing without actually seeing it, but whitetiger might be right and there is nothing to be offended about - car has a limit, which you cannot go beyond. You can alleviate that by tuning suspension/tires but there is so much you can do given suspension characteristics and car weight. For example, you won't make LGT handle like Elise, regardless of the budget.

^thanks. I generally always said the same thing untill I was recently advised differently. Im going back to more front camber.

Get better tires? Than the rt615's? Wow. Whats better? Advans neovas? Thats all i can think of. But they are sooo $$

Try with better alignment settings, it will definitely make a difference. I don't like RT615s because they get greasy as hell when hot. My personal favorite is the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R next would be the Advan Neovas.

Driving style is relavent to car setup as well, maybe your current setup doesn't fit your driving style.

My personal favorite is the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R next would be the Advan Neovas.

Driving style is relavent to car setup as well, maybe your current setup doesn't fit your driving style.

I had both those tires and the neova are just a tad batter in terms of dry grip. the re-01r are 98% of the neovas in terms of dry grip, but they are better in the we and since they are cheaper, they are a better all around choice of tire. The rt-615 used to be the tire to have in st class in autox, but since the re-01r, neova ad07 and dunlop direzza sport, the 615's have been obsolete. also, from what i hear, the 615's are not so great on heavier cars.

As far as driving style vs suspensnion setup, you are right. generally, with a stiffer suspension, you have to be alot smoother, with soft suspension you can be more sloppy with your driving and get away with it.

I had both those tires and the neova are just a tad batter in terms of dry grip.

Is this conclusion based on Autox experience where you are only driving the car for 2 min at a time? Because I find that both the RE-01R and Neova have nearly the same heat retention when driven on a road race track.

yes, this is just my autox experiiance, but remember, tires get alot hotter during autox than on a road course. durations of use is not the only factor for tire heat. cornering forces and frequency are more during autox.

Archived