LegacyGT.com

Cobb St II on a leased XT?

Looking for voices of reason/encouragement about modifying my leased (4yr) OBXT. Stage I would be a safe and cheaper bet, but those numbers for Stage II are tempting. I leased the subie because it's a new model, may consider buying at term, but most likely will opt for a new one since buying at the end of a lease isn't a great deal (also hoping subaru has a hybrid in four years). But until then, I'd like to have a monster sleeper to tear up some mountain asphalt.

I feel the same way, got the same lease on a LGT. Love it, but more power is always nicer but I agree those stage II numbers are sick and would make a flame spitting beast out of the car. As long as the dealer wont just "void my warranty" if I got a catted turboback exhaust (which I dont think they could do, think they would just void any prob caused by it, which should be none, I think). Then I would say giver :D

I have an AP in the box sitting here because i'm not sure if i want to take the chance that it is undetectable even if i unmarry it. I sure don't want any warranty issues i only have 600 miles on the car.

I have an AP in the box sitting here because i'm not sure if i want to take the chance that it is undetectable even if i unmarry it. I sure don't want any warranty issues i only have 600 miles on the car.

It reverts to stock when you unmarry it, and the dealer can't tell how many times the ECU has been reflashed. I'm thinking that if you unmarry, disconect the battery, touch the battery cables together, restart, we're back to stock--none the wiser.

A tuner told me that you should wait till at least 2500 miles and an oil change before running Stage I.

I was going to wait a while anyway, but i started reading that one thread " Is it really that easy 300hp" something like that and people started saying that they werent sure that even if you unmarried it that is was undetectable. Then there was mention of a revised Ap coming out later. I just don't want to regret putting it on if it might screw me down the line.

There are some other threads on this, I checked out a few long assed posts on Naisoc, and I got the gist that when AP first came out if you flashed then it was detectable because It wouldnt return the CVN CIN and VIN reporting codes back to the ones the car had before, supposedly Trey at cobb said that this has since been fixed and if you unmarry all should go back to the way it was...so I hope this is right

I like how they say it should go back to the original either it does or it doesn't. I don't care about unmarrying it ever time it has to go to the dealer, i mean how many times is that really, if it works.

Yea, I don't mind the unmarry either

Just updated mapping for the AP.

It seems like cobb does a good job of retooling their mapping and providing those updates for download. Some folks complain that it should be perfect before it hits the market, but I can't imagine that they could debug for every real-world scenerio.

When you say "buying at the end of a lease isn't a great deal", that is not necessarily true. What is a bad deal is leasing with the intent to buy at the end. You are much better off buying it right away.

But once you get to the end of the lease, you should look at the car's market value vs. the lease's residual value. The leasing company bases thelease on an "estimated" resale value. Sometimes the car ends-up being worth a lot more, and buying it at the end of the lease is an excellent deal even if you just turn around and resell it.

If I remember correctly, when you unmarry the AP it is NOT a 1:1 copy of the original. There seemed to be IP (intellectual property) issues with exactly coping Subaru's image off of the ECU.

Instead I thought that they created a map which is just like stock, but it is not a binary copy of the stock map. Now whether or not that means it's detectedable, I have no clue. I'm not familar with what data the ECU will back.

I believe that they said the Subaru Select won't report any differences, but I'd be curious if anyone has any dealer friends that would examine the differences between a stock ECU and one flashed with Cobb's stock map.

Heap

i'm suprised that with as many people who have installed the AP's no one has had to go back to the dealership for any work. Once a few people have work done than we'll find out if they are detectable.

Archived