LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT 5EAT AP 91 or 93 Octane Map

Muleski

I have a 2005 LGT wagon, 5EAT. I bought the car in February with 38K miles; now have 50K. About 1.5 miles ago, my mod-friendly dealer installed an AP, with a 91 octane map.

I live in a state where the "premium" gas, for the most part is 91 Octane. It's E10 fuel as well. Massachusetts. In the summer, for the most part, I'm staying within the state. In the winter and spring, I spend I lot of time in Maine, where the premium fuel is for the most part 91 octane.

So, the question is, should I reflash to a 93 map, and not worry about the occasional tank of 91 {maybe one tank out of 8}? And in the winter, when half of my fillups will be with 91, reflash to 91? Is that better than running a ton of 93 fuel with a 91 map?

I like the driveability with the stage 1 map. However, my gas mileage, even after the 1500 miles really sucks, with no change in driving habits. Not bad on the highway, but in the 15 mpg range around town. That's down probably 3 mpg. I'm not in boost a lot. I'm thinking it may have to do with the AP, but could be other factors.

Help me with the map issue, then I'll work on the rest, and ask for advice in another thread.

Love the car. Had an S6, and then a W8 Passat {both wagons} prior to this. Very impressed with the Subie.

Thanks.

Thanks. I'm most concerned with minimizing any problems or issues down the road, and making the best decision, given my specifics. I spend a lot of time drving in about a 250 mile range, with very different gas availability. I'm guessing that running 93 with a 91 map won't cause any problems, and is the best choice, but appreciate any thoughts on that.

Archived