LegacyGT.com

dealers don't want to sell to 21 year olds?

jred321

I went in to the dealer today to look at a demo LGTL with 5xxx miles on it and pretty much no options. went for a drive, cool, went to go talk about pricing. they wouldn't go below their "invoice", which was $700 above actual invoice which the salesman and I looked up on kbb.com. they kept giving me different finance options, but i kept telling them that i wouldn't get it for what they were trying to charge, it's pretty much a used car with 5000 miles on it. they tried to explain that it has never been titled and is still technically "new", and i kept trying to explain that from my point of view it's a used car with 5000 miles on it, i don't care if it's technically new. it took me 6 months of driving to put 5000 miles on my car, so this car has at least 6 months on the road. anyways, i just think the sales manager though i couldn't afford the car anyways so he just wouldn't move the price at all. i gave an offer of 25k out the door, expecting them to come back with something else a bit higher but i didn't think that price was terribly unreasonable given the car has 5000 miles on it by people who don't have to drive it for the next few years so can beat on it all they want and in my mind is used. they basically just said no, this is the price it's going to be and this is what we're giving you for your trade. if that doesn't work for you, tough. i have a feeling being 21 royally screwed me here and that's not right. one of the worst parts is my brother works for the service department of the kia dealer owned by the same person and right next door. oh well, we'll see if they give me a call back, i doubt it though. you'd think they'd want to sell a car at the end of the month in january ... guess not though

i was going to ask about the left over 04 sti they still had on the lot but decided i didn't want to do business there

How's your credit history? Did they do a credit check using your personal info. or just assume they should tack a risk premium on the young guy. The car biz will assume almost 50% repo rate on sub-prime or thin-file borrowers...based on experience. If you can go in with a good credit profile and steady employment history you still may have to self-promote to change their attitude. Some dealers are doing a better job of working with younger buyers but not all are with the program.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Man, if that's true, that sucks. It sucks when you're young and not taken seriously. jmcgliss has a good point though; did they run a credit check on you? Do you have a good credit history? Or, was it a situation where you simply walked in and they took a look at you and just said "Well, forget him." If its the latter, I'd have a talk with the GM of the dealership.

i checked my FICO score last month or so and it was 729 which is decent for my age, i never miss or am late on any type of payment, etc..., but i don't think they even checked. it wasn't that they wouldn't really sell me the car, more that they wanted way more than what the car was worth and wouldn't budge because they thought i didn't know how the industry works because i was young. they had no problems selling me the car for their inflated price and giving me crap for my trade, i think they thought they could get away with that though because of my age. it could be that they're just like that with everyone, but i highly doubt it, they didn't make any counter offers at all, kinda a take it or leave it for what's written on the sticker, which as we all know isn't how it really is. either they thought i didn't know how the industry works or they thought i couldn't afford it anyways so why bother, but there weren't other customers around while i was in there really so they had nothing better to do, so i go with the industry theory

the way i view salesmen is kinda the "what can i do to put you in this car" type of person, to me it seemed like they weren't even trying to put me in this or any car at all. as i was leaving they said i could work out a regular LGT closer to what i was looking for, but at that point i didn't want to bother, plus a pretty much used limited should be pretty much the same as a regular gt

they also pretended to know nothing about the college graduate program thing, which i'll admit i don't know much about because subaru doesn't put anything on their site unlike other brands which say $500 off, but they acted like i was providing them with some astounding information they've never heard of

i've visited other dealers before and just gotten ignored, but this was different. when the sti first came out i went to a subaru dealer to look at the one in the showroom, i had to start conversation with the guy sitting there watching me, and he basically told me that i can't afford it so i'm not gonna bother. same dealer when the 05 sti's first came out i went to look, walked around them for 15 mins hoping someone would come out, nope, nothing. went to a mitsu dealer to check out the evo, i walked around the car in the showroom for 10 mins and nobody said a word to me. all of these dealerships i won't shop at for my next 60 or so years i plan to buy cars, oh well, if that's what they think will work for them. i'll gladly travel extra distance for a good dealership, i have yet to find one though

A FICO score of 729 is very good regardless of your age. You should be aware though that college students who haven't trashed (ie bought playstations, computers, TVs etc) their credit scores usually have good FICO scores, because there's such limited information to draw from. The score is a combination of credit history, open lines of credit (revolving or otherwise) and how maxed out your credit lines are. So, a college student who doesn't need a plasma TV and has a couple credit cards and no loans could easily have that score. Sorry, I've been reading fatwallet finance forum a lot recently...

Anyways, the college graduate thing isn't *THAT* big of a deal with subaru. Its like any other one, where if you prove you've graduated recently and you can show you've got a job after you graduate, then you get preferred lending. I think that was it. With your FICO score you'd get preferred lending anyways, so its a moot point.

I agree with drkknight99, you should buy your Legacy from a dealer that'll show you some class, then go do donuts in the other guys' parking lots. ;)

i was 22 when i bought my LGT and the dealer was cool. didn't assume nothing, just went right to the credit report to see if i qualified for the 3.9% (which i did :))

and that was the first car i was titled on and just starting my first "real" job. so basically, it depends on who you do business with.

A score of 729 is good beans and elegible for prime credit offers. A "thin file" would probably not score this well...it takes some history of paying on time with various types of credit, and a balance-to-line ratio that is not maxed out. 6,000 rpm launches with the credit cards will throw a 'red light'.

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

It's pretty pathetic how some of these dealerships will mistreat young customers. My friends went through this all the time and in the end it was great to drive up there with our new car a week or so later and laugh at them. It helps being young myself (24) to realize the position others my age or younger are in since I've been through it. That's probably why I have a lot of wrx customers under 18 I didn't blow off when they walked on the lot and came back with their parents and bought later, you can speak to them via AIM if you wish. If I can help you with something Jred let me know. There are customers on this forum who will tell you of their experience with me and purchases made through this forum help it too!!! I've helped people in California, etc on this forum buy their Legacy. I also have a great review over on the forester forums if you are curious for that link as well. All of these reasons I think help show why I have a 100% customer satisfaction score. Hope to talk to you soon and never deal with some place that treats you based on your age. Everyone either owns or is going to own a car so it's their fault for labeling you in advance.

2017 F150 Platinum EB

2009 SWP Spec B

thanks for all the comments :)

Viperenvy- if i do decide to get one i'll definitely come to you. the only thing is for me to afford a new limited i'd have to wait a little while for some things to come through (like my tax return). i was hoping that this car being a demo the price would be more reasonable, but they didn't want it to be that way. if you have a nice demo limited though, then we should talk :)

I bought a LGT demo, Im 26 had no probs, great ppl. And its a bitch when ppl look down on you when youre younger...They often have no idea, I was making $10k cdn a month when I was 21 running my own business..

That said, even at 26 I still had to get my dad to cosign for lack of a "real work" history...

I thought that maybe they were just stickin to their guns because you were just inquiring not making an offer. But if you made an offer and they were like that, f@ck them, go elsewhere thats shiite.

yea i made an offer, albeit maybe a bit low, and they made no sort of counter offer. oh well, their loss. when my parents got a demo GMC they paid 10k less than sticker, i offered what would be about 5500 less, so i don't think it was too unreasonable, they just didn't want to sell it to me. oh well

I'm only 23 and had the same type of deal happen when I was at the mazda dealership. I was to the point of negotiating for a 6 when the salesman tells me his final offer is $1000 over invoice. The car was selling for invoice everywhere. He and the sales manager run some cock and bull story about how these are rare cars and not available in the area.I could have gone through carsdirect and gotten it for 250 over invoice without any hassle. I walked out and had a message when I got home that the lowest they would go is $500 over invoice. How generous, mr. asshat! It completely put me off the 6 and the whole car buying process for a couple months. Turns out that was the best thing that could have happened because I discovered the legacy shortly after. The 6 is a nice car, but it's no legacy.

I wasn't approached by anyone at the subaru dealership either, but once I approached someone, they treated me with the respect I would have expected for a purchase so substantial.

I was amazed at how little respect I was given in the negotiation process with that dealer. You figure that you go to school and work your ass off to try and gain some respect, and then have to be subjected to such pointless b.s. Unbelievable.

that sucks bro, ive been to 3 suby dealers around boston (im only 17) although i go with my parents... and yesterday we got a gt limited priced out at 26700...only one dealer hada check to see if they were insured for that young of an age...

good luck with what happens!

im 21 and they couldnt wait to try and screw me, haha. my score was 699 and i got 2.9% on my own. but i got screwed on my trade and only got $200 over invoice at the time.

just try another dealer and NEVER buy the demo bro, youre asking for denied warranty work in the future.

the only way i can afford the one i want is to get a demo, my next car will have leather and a sunroof which are only available on the limited. if i want cloth and no sunroof i'll just keep my car and not lose a ton of money on the trade. i was ok with losing a lot on the trade as i've only had the car for a year and a half so that's kinda expected, but i'm not gonna pay over invoice for a demo unless they agree to pay my car off in full, which, well, isn't gonna happen. i don't dislike my current car so until i can get the exact car i want and have it be within my price range i'll just wait

and for warranty work, after having to deal with mazda for warranty work, i'd just as soon not have a warranty at all. there's no point to a warranty if dealerships don't honor it. the only thing i've had no trouble getting done are tsb's

"NEVER buy the demo bro, youre asking for denied warranty work in the future."

awdG35killer, Can you elaborate? Thanks.

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

"NEVER buy the demo bro, youre asking for denied warranty work in the future."

awdG35killer, Can you elaborate? Thanks.

ive seen posts on other sites (ie nissan, acura) about ppl buying demos for cheap and too many things going wrong, maybe from improper break-in or just first off the truck that the salesmen get to beat on. a friend worked for nissan and now toyota, i talk to him and his sales buddies about how they get to take the newest car early in the morning to play with.

then when you need a fix, the dealer denies you for bs reasons. im sure youve seen posts here and on nasioc or iClub and many other boards. but its just a warning. especially if you plan to mod.

:)

Most dealers suck and dont give "kids" respect. I was in the market for a new car when I was 22 and not 1 dealer took me seriously, so I just bought used. Gettting my Legacy the dealer did take me more seriously being 25, but I also had my mother with me to co-sign. Luckly I drove out of there a few days later in my LGT with 2.9 financing for 5 years.

The guy who I took the test drive with said that they dont really let people test drive the STIs or the new legacy GTS unless they are really serious about buying one :shrug:

I had already test drove the WRX and was talking pricing so maybe that helped me...

The guy who I took the test drive with said that they dont really let people test drive the STIs or the new legacy GTS unless they are really serious about buying one :shrug:
no dealership will really let you test drive a car unless they think you can buy one, which is why i can't walk into a porsche dealer and drive, well, anything :). it's convincing them that you are in the market for the car that is sometimes the hard part.

no dealership will really let you test drive a car unless they think you can buy one, which is why i can't walk into a porsche dealer and drive, well, anything :). it's convincing them that you are in the market for the car that is sometimes the hard part.

mind you the second I arrived at the Subaru dealership I said can I test drive the WRX and he threw me the keys, no questions, just took a photocopy of my drivers lisc. (and I know it aint a porsche ;)) He did drive me in it first but then my turn.. :)

eh..i went to chevy a week before and test drove a 47k truck that I obviously wasn't going to buy and they didnt care

sup guys,

i see what you mean by young people gettin the low end of the spectrum when it comes to getting treated "equally".. I'm 22 now and bought the car new years eve. I new that the sales people werent going to gimme the respect and integrity, so I went with my dad just to show that I'm actually interested in buying.

credit wise, mine was great which was around 700+ like yours. They didn't approve me since I just started a job. My dad cosigned, and I was approved for 2.9%:D

Archived