LegacyGT.com

08 lgt auto slow shift

eastchef

has anyone come up with a way to make the shifting quiker with the 5 at? Should of known better than to buy an automatic. there were however no manual trans left in canada. dealer said the paddle shifters were nearly teh quikest on the market. not exactly the case!!

any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to the forums eastchef! Drop by the new member introduction section and tell us about your ride. Also, keep in mind there is a LOT of information on this forum, so trust the search option.

That being said, there are 2 things you can do to firm up the shifts: a stiffer transmission mount by Rallitek and a valve body modification done by IPT.

The VB mod runs around $650 and will make the shifts quicker and in turn make the transmission handle more power.

However the lag that you're talking about between the time you hit the paddle and the time it shifts won't be improved. Are you complaining about the time it takes to shift during regular driving? Because if you step on it, it will shift faster. Mine also takes almost a full second to shift during regular driving, but the shift is quicker when I'm gunning it.

thanks for the input. when you say 'make the shifts quiker' is this different then the lag time?

It doesnt seem to hold the gear in the same way that a manual does either. i also find with the lag time that if i am hard on it, if i shift to close to redline then it automatically upshifts. i have then found myself a gear to high and need to downshift.

The new Legacies will automatically upshift near the fuel cutoff, the older ones would not and just bounce off the rev limiter. You have to learn and time at what point to hit the shifter, if you wait and hit it when you want it to shift, it won't do it that very second and you'll have the car hit the fuel cutoff and/or automatically upshift.

By "make the shifts quicker" I don't mean the lag time from the moment you hit the shifter button and the moment the transmission shifts, but rather how fast it drops from one gear to the other. Basically the valve body mod makes the shifts firmer.

There really isn't much you can do about the lag between the time you hit the shifter and the time the transmission actually shifts.

Archived