LegacyGT.com

Gas gauge not detecting gas after fueling

iuksob03

I had the gas light come on during my drive home yesterday with the display indicating about 30 miles until empty. I stopped in a gas station for a quick splash to get me home where gas is 30 cents cheaper a gallon. I put in $5, about 2.4 gallons. I get back into the car and head on my way, yet the gas light remains on and the neddle stays put, almost like no gas was put into the car. The car felt like it started to sputter a little after I left the station( I had been driving a while with the light low before the refill), so I pulled into another station. I shut the car off and let it sit for about 30 seconds, then restarted and got the same results. So, I proceeded to put in another $5. I start back up after finishing and the needle shoots up to about 3/8 of a tank and the readout says 110 miles.

The way I understand it, the gas light is triggered when there is less than 2 gallons left in the tank. It's nothing that I'm really concerned about, but I just found it odd to not have any movement from the needle or the readout after putting more than the minimum amount needed to turn off the light. Is this just an anomaly or was I misinformed on the trigger?

If you do not turn the car of (like at the first station) the gas needle will not measure positive increase in gas quantity. At the second station you turned it off and the needle reset. Its kind of like a divers watch, it will always ratchet to show less air than he has available to prevent accidental overestimation.

ya the same problem happend to me, I always turn off the car before I start filling up, when I was ready to go, I turn on the car and the light stays on. the next day I belive when I turn on the car it went gauge higher. I thought maybe because it was too cold, that caused the mechanism to stop functioning properly!?

Anyway it only happend once so it wasnt a big deal. If it starts occuring more often then I'd definitely go see my dealer.

It takes a while. It's based off a floater and electronic sensor. It has to stabilize itself. It's going to be more inaccurate if you use just based on the floater to figure out how much fuel you have, especially when you are sloshing the fuel around on the track. It responds, just not as fast as you think.

Keefe

Keefe

I turned the car off before I filled up the first time, just a little risky to leave it running and pump. The drive down the road was prolly 2 or 3 minutes, then the extra time at the gas station sitting with the car off hoping for a reset. Then as soon as I was done with the 2nd pump and turned the ignition, BAM. The gauge sweeps and then right to the 3/8 of a tank level. I guess the cold aiding a malfunction could be a possibility, as it's been single digits here recently and my car is parked outside at all times. Then again, if the sensor is set up like Xenonk said, I doubt the cold would have much effect on it. Who knows, but like I said, not really worried about it. Just kinda caught me off guard.

The low fuel light comes on when you have 2 or 3 gallongs reamining.

BUT .. it will not go off unless there is more then 4-5 gallons in the tank.

My numbers are slightly off, but this is written in the manual. It really is your friend :)

Archived