LegacyGT.com

Finally, my LGT is being totaled.

Feel free to start here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63468

So after a year of fighting with my insurance company, I threw down the gauntlet and told them to total the car or I would ask the banking and insurance commission if they thought more than a dozen trips for corrective repairs was reasonable.

I had a call within a few days and learned that my car would be totaled and I would be paid based on book value at time of accident - June 1 06. Yee haw!

So I went test driving this weekend. I'll paste this from another thread, might be helpful to those shopping....

I spent yesterday test driving a number of cars - Audi, Infinity, Jag, and back to Subaru.

I drive an 04 G35x - not because I want to buy an 04. I'd buy an 06 or newer, but in Vermont there are none around to drive. I thought the 04 would give me the general flavor.

It's a nice car with a few flaws (04). The interior is just odd. Hard plastics where I did not expect them, gauges blocked by hands on the steering wheel, seats are just a tad narrow - I am 6'1" 200 lbs. The seat mounted controls are flat out stupid. The steering wheel looks like it came from a 1980's GM car (minus the mounted radio and other controls).

The headrests make you lean far back before your head touches them. I have the same gripe about my 05 LGT. Want a decent headrest? Try an Audi or a VW with tilting headrests. My Passat was great in that regard.

Power delivery is good and snappy. I'm sure my LGT is quicker 0-60, but from there it feels closer.

Ride and handling are the big difference. The G is more compliant, with less feedback. I thought I would hate that, but my feelings are mixed since the roads in Vermont are beat to hell now and my LGT wants to knock my fillings out over moderate road imperfections.

So I finished the day at Subaru, tried the new WRX. While the hardcore drivers bemoan the body roll, one you get used to it you realize the handling is still quite good, and the ride is much kinder over potholes and bumps. I quite liked the WRX, but damn did it feel much slower than my 5spd LGT. And there is slightly less feedback than the LGT, as you would expect from a kinder/softer suspension setup.

It really is necessary to drive both cars, and I have no doubt that I'd be happy with an 07 G35x, but I buy used with around 20k miles, and the 07G35x will cost me 7k more than an 06 LGT.

I don't like the G 7k more, and I love the LGT enough to live with the slightly rougher ride. It's is also cheaper to drive. Better mileage, cheaper parts.

That's my lengthy .02

So after a year of fighting with my insurance company, I threw down the gauntlet and told them to total the car or I would ask the banking and insurance commission if they thought more than a dozen trips for corrective repairs was reasonable.

I had a call within a few days and learned that my car would be totaled and I would be paid based on book value at time of accident - June 1 06. Yee haw!

Congrats!

So, the car was originally repaired but the repair was not done well?

The battery exploded. I told the body shop if they did not scrub the engine and bay down and neutralize it instantly, the car would eat itself from the engine bay out. They did not, and there is a lot of orange springing up under the hood now.

The dozen corrective trips were not related to the battery acid. Those were all a bunch of f-ups from really bad body shops - 2 of them.

Archived