LegacyGT.com

I always thought..

You guys were exagerating about how good the car moves in the snow. And the stories about how "I was the only one moving when even the ford exploders were getting stuck" was just overly enthusiastic car guys talking. Well I will now jump on your bandwagon as I am having a blast in this thing. Especially as how I live in the Northeast and we have been dumped on with two feet of snow in the past week.

I have been driving part-time 4wd trucks for the past ten years and am familiar with 4wd so I do have decent knowledge about this stuff. That's why I was so surprised at the difference in performance/handling with this system. You can really feel the power moving around and the car just grabs like a mofo. The powerslides are great, a nice controlled feeling and then whammo it grabs and youre off in teh direction you want to go.

This is my first Subaru and am quite impressed. Of course until this Legacy came out they really didn't have a car that was styled to my liking. Now , I need another snowstorm!!

:lol:

Brian

Glad youre enjoying it and I understand taking borderline fanatics positive comments with a grain of salt, one of the hazards of online forums I suppose.

But yeah, it really is a hoot in the snow.

Theyve been doing AWD right for awhile, though I didnt own my first Subie until '99 my MY2k2.5RS was a ton of fun in the snow and it allowed me to do last minute (ie the 23rd) Christmas shopping around Chicago when we got dumped on in 01.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

This is my first Subaru too and I am pleased. I drive around 500 miles a week so my car has allot of mileage on it already. Once a day, I tweak in traffic to or from work so it's safe to say I'm hard on the car and (knock on wood :rolleyes: ) I haven't had any problems. I have about 13,000 miles on the car now. I drove it in 12 in + of snow last week and I was pleased with the snow performance of the car too, regardless if the stock tires suck.

Guest JessterCPA

I was the same. I was almost crossing my fingers saying "I hope this car is good in the snow" Well I wonder no more. Its not that I blast through super deep stuff. I just dont have to worry about getting home or getting to the supermarket anymore. Its just a safe feeling.

Oh and the horsepower is a real hoot.

:)

Cdubbs,

Christmas shopping at the last minute huh. Boy does that bring back memories.:lol:

And while I'm here I'd like to thank everyone for all the insight this board gives out. The first mod I did was deactivating the seat belt chime. Did it before I even left the dealer lot. It was actually pretty funny because I asked the salesman to deactivate it for me and he told me that couldn't physically be done. I laughed and let it slide, but when I picked it up I asked him if he wanted to see how to disable it. He said yes and I proceeded to show him the steps and it worked the first time. Note: only did the click/unclick procedure once. He was pretty happy beacuse he said he's had a lot of customers asking about disabling it as well.

Brian

You think its good now... Just get some good winter tires or err any good all seasons on the thing and you will run circles around stuck suv's.

The only thing keeping you on the road is subarus 30 years of AWD experience.

The stock RE-92's SUCK they offer very limited snow traction. Well very limited traction PERIOD!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE92

they not only SUCK they are borderline unacceptable in the snow!

The AWD/4WD systems in most SUVs and trucks is primitive compared to Subaru's systems. Subaru has the most sophisticated mechanical system available. Scoobie does have different systems for different trannys, what tranny do you have?

The AWD/4WD systems in most SUVs and trucks is primitive compared to Subaru's systems. Subaru has the most sophisticated mechanical system available. Scoobie does have different systems for different trannys, what tranny do you have?

True,

The most advanced being the STi DCCD and the VTD 5eat automatic in the legacy. Those two AWD setups are direct offshoots of the Subaru WRC car.

mAd tracshun YO!!!!!!!!!11111111one

Audi might have the most "sophisticated" PURE mechanical system because of the use of torsens differentials. However the most sophisticated does not= the most effective in snow or limited tractive conditions. Audi torsens differentials rely on a bias ratio which happens to be 2.3 to 1.

A bias ratio refers to the maximum amount of power that the torsens differential can send to the one set of wheels as a function of the traction on the other set of wheels.

If one wheel becomes unloaded or suffers limited traction the other set wheels will share the same limited traction based on the bias ratio. This underlies the main problem in using torsens differentals in limited tractive conditions. That is if one wheel completely looses traction or becomes unloaded the torque transfer to the other set of wheels (wheel) will be ZERO. Any bias ratio times ZERO is ZERO.

For example: Suppose in your torsens equipped car you get your front wheels stuck in a snow bank and your rears are on perfectly dry pavement on a sunny day. It takes 10 lb/ft to turn the front set of wheels before they spin up in the snow bank. Your rear wheels will get a maximum of 23 lb/ft probably not enough to move your car.

With the subaru viscous couping system if you were in the same situation spinning the viscous couping up enough will induce a center differental (quote) "lock" and your engine power would mostly be diverted to the tractive wheels. This is because a viscous couping does not depend on a bias ratio. It depends on a speed diffrence.

I have the 5EAT and therefore VTD; which if I remember correctly was a better system than the manual tranny. I also didn't want to shift anymore as I have bad knees and routinely get stuck in traffic on my commute.

Brian

I have the 5EAT and therefore VTD; which if I remember correctly was a better system than the manual tranny. I also didn't want to shift anymore as I have bad knees and routinely get stuck in traffic on my commute.

Brian

More like the 5EAT needs it not to feel completely boring.. I get plenty of torque to the rear tires.. In fact sometimes I wish I had more to the front on packed snow..

Tyres and better set up will amaze you with the total difference is grip and handling. I would suggest for next winter running a set of old rims and snow tyres, and getting rid of those RE92's before summer hits.

All the best sliding around.

Adam.

Archived