LegacyGT.com

09 Grill

ProHobo

I am trying to remove the 09 LGT grill....but it must be different than earlier versions - cause it sure doesn't SLIDE OUT.

There are 4 easy plastic pop bolts to remove on the top.

But the grill is still very tight..

I can see two screws on the outter right and left lower parts (from the inside) that look like they are screwed into the bumper.

Also there seems to be plastic tabs (?) also that are fasten.

Does anyone have any experience with an 09 grill removal....

Pictures to follow....

Below are some photos.

The pictures include a front on shot (two screws that I can't get too are behind the lower part of the grill (left and right).

There also seems to be plastic tabs on the left and right side attaching to the bumper.

The one shot shows the screw as I have pulled a little back on the grill to get the shot. I think these screws - are screwing in the grill into the bumper.

Frontgrill1.jpg.0489f153a7c3e930ccb522e155d77abe.jpg

frontgrilltop.thumb.jpg.b37a67de56e67d02b37113a4a3b7cbcd.jpg

frontgrillsnaps.jpg.d5b7f0a2a4911dd3be50da70bde86204.jpg

frontgrillscrew.jpg.ad95b3a15c2b97f188a53098450705a3.jpg

Thanks, in that thread was a link to this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82431&page=2

Which had pictures of the 08 Screws. There are 6 of them. Looks like I am going to the store for a STUBBY screw driver - none of mine will fit.

If the 09 is the same as the 08 - (I hope there is nothing MORE than more screws).

I will post pictures here when (and if) I am able to remove the grill.

Thanks....

Ok...

I got the grill off (6 screws) - stubby phillips (1") and a mirror - took 10 mins.

The wings come off (screw and tabs) and the chrome surround comes off (screw and tabs) - picture to follow.

I used a the Kyrlon (plastic) flat black. (stating that it did NOT need to be primed). I cleaned the surface and then applied a a couple of coats (to the back as a test) and let dry. However (hour later) I tested the painted surface and it comes right off (with a scratch of the finger nail)....hmmm... So it looks like I will have to sand it.

But wait....

My son (4 years old) had tossed a few of his Hot-wheels in the pool yesterday. I just got them out. There was a couple of moving trucks (plastic box section) that was painted chrome. I pulled them out of the pool just now - and the chrome is GONE?

So here goes the experiment - I dropped the wing and surround in the pool and I am going into the pool for a while. I will see if I get the same results as the HOT Wheels - removing the shiny chrome and leaving just a plain surface...

That would save hours of sanding....

Will take photos and let you know.....

I wonder if the water/chlorine/chemicals would end up warping the plastic...

I am very interested to know how it turned out.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Well...I left it in the pool the whole day, the shine seems to have dulled - but nothing like the results of the Hot Wheels.

I asked the wife, she said those hot wheels were in the pool for 3 days (last time the little guy was in the pool.)

So I decided to leave the parts at the bottom of the pool and leave it time do it's work.

The plastic (chrome) on the hot-wheels was fine - no warp or damage. The chrome was just gone -just the plastic remains (White and Black) - I will take photos of the truck to show you.

I did find this interesting link, it seems that Chlorine will affect chrome, but not regular paints....interesting...

http://t4besttime.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-to-remove-chrome-parts-from-model.html

http://t4besttime.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-do-i-remove-paint-and-chrome-from.html

Well - time will tell....I might have to go the full 3-days. Today is just day two.

Will take photos...

Already going to town on that 09 huh? :D

Yeah -

Debage - Done

Tint - Done

Grill - in the pool

Coilovers - in the mail (Stance)

Wheels/Tires - ordered (soon to be in mail)

AP - not yet ordered

TBE - not yet ordered

Let me know if you still have the time and would like to help with the Stance Coilovers!

let me know how the coilovers turn out. i ws=as looking at them the other day but im scared of the drop with my 18"s.

The Stances are in the mail - they are adjustable - so I would think you could set the drop to what you need (isn't that the benefit of Coilovers?)

Discowagon is the one that set me up - he has some info on them. Shoot him a PM he is really good about getting answers back to you. He also has a good connection for them.

As back to the OP....

The chrome painted part of the grill is still in the pool. I got home late (even though the pool is very warm) I didn't jump in to get it. I could still see chrome on them - but it did seem duller. Don't know until I fish them out. I'll check them tomorrow. I really don't want to start sanding these things down. :confused:

Maybe one you take it out, the chrome will rub off of the plastic pretty easily?

Are you driving around with no grille? lol

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

The chrome (after a week in the pool) got a cloudy look to it. I don't know if it was not enough clorine in the pool or what.

I took it out and - buff sanded them. Then 3 coats of paint (Krylon Flat Black / for Plastic) and then 3 coats of Clear Mat Finish.

So no - for some reason it worked on the chrome painted hot wheels, but not very well on these.

You COULD see that it was working - but I think it could of been because the pool guy hasn't come and the pool did fill with lots of rain water too. Deluting the clorine. I would like to test some Clorine Bleach on chrome (as per the article I linked to) and test it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived