LegacyGT.com

Interchanging parts across trim-levels (96-99)

Simple question. If you have a base 99 legacy with no options, is it possible to swap out parts from a Limited? For example, are the connections there for you to replace the mirrors with heated mirrors, or the seats with heated seats? Just wondering if all the wiring is still there, or if it really is impossible to do that.

hmm....i need to find the camera....

i think some of the wiring pieces are there, and even not, it cant be too hard to wire that crap up. once i find a camera i'll take some pics and you can compare them with what you see on yours

you will need to get all of the various switches though

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a new car, and I can find LOTS of base-model 98-99 outbacks in pristine condition with 60-70,000 miles. It's hard to find a Limited though, since people who get all the options are the ones who drive their cars a lot.

I currently have a Limited, and I really don't want to lose ALL the options on my car, lol, but if I could add most of them back in, it might be a fun project for me to learn some stuff about cars!

to be honest, I would not recommend this. while it will be much easier to do this with a car that has everything hooked up and you can just follow the wires and plug them back in on the other car, being in college doesn't help matters. besides, i've been looking forward to a new car ever since buying my LOB back in high school, and it's only a year or two until i can get it. and look on the bright side, with all that engineering loot you'll be making in a few years, you can buy something much nicer than a base bd/bg/bh :lol:

i know i will ;)

Well, we'll see. I dunno what to do. I really don't want to have to sink $1500 into my current car to fix the problems (one of which Subaru wants my to pay a $200 diagnostic for because they don't actually know what's wrong.)

Then again, a new Outback in good shape is going to be more like $6-7000 so I guess I might not have much of a choice. It's just such a money pit, this current car... :(

1500, for what? the flux capacitor is out again?....

I've done it too (head gaskets freshman year), but seriously, unless you have cash in hand, don't buy another car. even if you do, don't buy another car. grin and bear it, something much nicer is over the horizon.

subaru or bmw, i just can't choose :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I think you're right.

I was told it would be around $700 to replace the AWD clutch pack. It will be another $500 for the right front axle (boot is gone - makes horrific noises when I turn right or left.) And additionally I just spent $200 to replace an O2 sensor to fix a very bad stuttering problem when I accelerate, but that didn't actually fix it. We tried to get the dealership to find and fix the actual problem (or at least FIND it) for free, but they want us to pay a $150 diagnostic to try and solve the problem. Their reasoning is, "it needed to be replaced anyway." Well YES it needed to be replaced, but with 212,000 miles, EVERYTHING needs to be replaced. I just wanna replace what's causing that problem. I get the feeling I'll just end up going down a list of possible issues (for example, the rear O2 sensor is also acting a bit loopy according to them.)

It's just so much money to put into a car that I really don't want anymore, but I guess that's just how it is. You're absolutely right - and I think I'll just bite the bullet Monday and bring 'er in!

Well, fastwgn286, you'll be happy to know I brought my car in yesterday, and they're working on it right now. They estimated me at $400 for the right front axle and $1000 (yikes!) for the AWD clutch pack.

Called today to see if it was ready, and all I got out of that phone call was, "Not yet. Oh, and the right wheel hub is shot, and you will die if you don't replace that." I'd be a fool not to have them do it while they were doing the axle, so that's ANOTHER $400... so, so far we're up to $2000, and I haven't even determined what's causing the stuttering problem, which will have to be replaced.

Sigh... :icon_frow

sorry to hear about the escalating costs. :(

if you had the time and a haynes manual, you could of tried to do some of that yourself. It would of been a fun project to learn how to wrench your own car. I know what i'll be doing this weekend - new CV boot.....

I would love to try it myself, but I really cannot be without a car for an extended period of time. ALSO, I really wouldn't trust myself, to start, with anything having to do with the brakes. I have no problem trying to take off a door, or body panel, or the center dash, but anything that's important when it comes to stopping the car, lol - I'm out.

I seriously DO need to start doing things myself, it would save so much money. I guess the only thing to do is just go ahead and TRY one day, and if it doesn't work, get my mechanic next door to fix it! But I just get nervous whenever I think about it. It's complicated enough for me to replace a FENDER, much less the drivetrain, lol.

I am going to buy one of those manuals next time I have any work like that to do and "see what's what," as Jeremy Clarkson would say.

Well, called again today to see what was up. Was told that the car was back together this morning and that their TOP mechanic Ed would be driving it all afternoon to try and find the hesitation issue.

They also told me that when they took the transmission out to replace the clutch, they found the casing cracked (I assume they meant the clutch casing) and that the mounts were broken. Ridiculous. They told me normally that would be another $400 in parts, but their mechanic found used parts and the put those in free of charge. VERY NICE OF THEM!

Dunno how the car was still driving with that broken tho :confused: Thing's a BEAST.

i think their top mechanic ed just went for a booty call in mexico! ole! :lol:

subarus are robust little cars. i remember driving some 300 miles with bad head gaskets. that was an adventure....

hopefully they get everything fixed and it was just something simple causing the acceleration probs.

Nope. They couldn't figure it out. He actually had trouble reproducing the problem, despite it happening to me CONSISTENTLY, but he didn't know it only happened with light throttle. I actually started it up AT THE DEALERSHIP to leave and it was doing it pretty badly, so I ran and grabbed him and showed him. He wanted me to schedule an appointment, but I'll just live with it until the next time I bring it in.

By the way, does anyone here know approximately how much it would cost normally to have all the leaking oil seals fixed on this car?

Archived