LegacyGT.com

Thermo-tec heat barrier wrap - does it work?

SSpeed

Does the Thermo-tec heat barrier wrap work? I'm talking about this stuff:

http://www.thermotec.com/adhesive-backed-heat-barrier.html

I had thought about putting it on my TMIC end tanks directly above the turbo to keep that heat off of it. But in a totally unscientific test, I turned on my stove burner and covered my hand with the Thermo-tec wrap, I then held it about 8 inches above the burner... I was really surprised how hot my hand got through the wrap, there really was no difference in heat at all between the wrapped hand and the bare hand. The only thing was it took a second or two more to get hot.

They claim it "reflects over 90% of radiant heat" but I'm not sure I'm buying it... I almost think it would be better to leave the end tanks bare and let the engine bay airflow take some heat away from them...

If you have a natural gas stove, the flame is going to be something like 3000F. Removing 90% of this radiant heat still leaves you with a 300F flame, which is going to feel pretty damn hot.

The other thing is, you're in contact with the wrap in this test, which is probably not going to help you any. I think a better idea would be to take a piece of metal and hold it over the flame, then your hand over that piece of metal (not touching it, a few inches over) and feel the heat there. Then wrap the metal, and repeat and see if you feel less heat making it through.

That heat has to go somewhere.

I thought that stuff was for keeping the heat in, not out. When people wrap exhaust pipes with it, its so the heat stays in the pipe.

Your thinking of the beige header/exhaust wrap. He's talking about the metalic shiny shit.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Archived