LegacyGT.com

preparing for an audio install

SuperMoose15

Hello everyone, it is about that time where I am going to replace the factory system in my 08 legacy and had several questions before I start to gather the materials necessary.

List of components intended to install

2 10" woofers in custom boxes in the wheel wells following tutorial here

2 amps, one under each seat

boston acoustic sx60's and possibly s65's for the rear (maybe at a later date for rear)

The headunit is a debate (Pioneer avic-f700bt)

The headunit I am looking at is riddled with problems and will probably be the last component to be installed, I am more than likely going to wire up the car and do all of the sound deadening in the coming week and then pop the speakers and headunit in at the last minute before returning to school, hopefully there will be a fix for the headunit's crappy firmware by then.

I have several questions regarding my install. To power the amps would it make sense to run one large gauge wire into the cabin and then split it from there or just run two smaller gauge wires directly from the battery? If it makes sense to split it what components would I need to do so? The other question involves the headunit. I know that the only double din option I've seen people install has been in place of the cubby. Would it not be possible to modify this bezel (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=120998901) and then have the unit where the factory radio was? I haven't been able to find anyone who has tried it but was wondering if there would be a specific reason this would not be a feasible option.

That is all for now I will ask more questions when I have more time to think.

Thanks!

Just Put the pioneer into my wifes truck with Sirrius Sat. Really like it but little hard to read the display. BT works great. Fairly easy to install but setup of everything take a while. Because the unit has very little buttons it gets a little getting used to, but remote makes it a little easy. Biggest complaint is the display, hard to read, and you have to hit scroll to see everything. Example, it shows station #, hit scroll to get artist, scroll to song, scroll to preset #, etc. Wish it automaticallly went throught it all, but as far as BT ready its one of the best.

Thanks for the reply about the unit, however I'm not too concerned with the features of the unit itself as much as if I can find a way to install it where the factory radio was. I have done plenty of research to find that the unit is not the best performing but hopefully with a firmware update will become excellent. My question more or less becomes can I modify that bezel to accept a double din unit.

As far as running power goes, almost everyone runs a single large gauge cable and then splits it with a distribution block.

You have to determine how much power you'll need and size accordingly.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7762_Scosche+e2+EADB2.html

Something like this lets you run a 4ga cable and split it into 2 8ga cables. This should be plenty of power for most applications.

Note that you'll need to provide your own fuses (or buy a block that has fuses included)

As far as the mounting kit goes - the only you linked to is only good for the non-GT legacies that don't have the auto-climate control built in. Take a read through some of the FAQ's here. Most people just get a line-out-converter or cleansweep/other DSP and run directly from the factory head unit to the amp.

Fortunately for me I have a 2008 Legacy 2.5i special edition without the autoclimate control. I would like to replace the factory unit in order to obtain navigation and an aftermarket unit all together. I just wanted to know if there would be a difficulty in adapting that bracket to fit a double din. From what I could tell when I pulled my factory unit most of the way out the other day was that it is a double din unit. So I wanted to know if I could dremel this one out a bit to fit the pioneer unit and still use the bracket that mounted the factory radio (the metal thing) or if it would be a more complex install than just some dremeling. Even if it is more complex its something I think I am going to attempt, I just wanted to get some feedback on the whole situation.

I know that there is a dash kit for the non auto climate control but think its only 1 din. I dont remember any bracket for the stock headunit, the facia holds it in place. I have auto climate controls though. Good location to search is crutchfield and their what fits guide.

Yea you replace the factory radio(one big, heavy hunk of junk) and install the double din kit in the same exact place. I got my kit from Crutchfield. No need to mess with the cubby hole above(Although I wouldn't mind having a navigation system there). You have to have the manual climate controls though. Someone who had some experience w/ Legacy sound systems did my entire system minus the subwoofer + mono block. It's certainly possible. Make sure you replace the headunit before you put in new speakers though, I hear that underpowering them will cause damage.

n68139448_34572597_4458.jpg.621de0181748a125b3b7776bb60d4249.jpg

Ok let me try this one more time. I do have manual climate controls, I know for a fact that the kit from crutchfield will work to replace for a single din. My question is if I cut a bigger hole in order to accomidate a double din, will that be possible to make work? I haven't seen anyone who has made a double din kit for the car so I am assuming there isn't one avaible that will take the place of the factory radio. I have no interest in putting the new unit in the cubby hole above the factory radio.

OK update with more questions. I know you are supposed to run the power cables for the amps on the opposite side of the signal cables. If I am mounting the amps under the seats what is the best way to go about this? Anyone have an approximate number on how many feet of power cable will be needed to do two amps assuming I run a 4 gauge wire into the car and split it with a distribution block into two 8 gauge pieces? Where is the best place to put the distribution block? That is all for now. Looking to possibly get started on sound deadening and building custom boxes this weekend since I have three days off from work. Was thinking of ordering my head unit but I might hold off until all the sound deadening and wiring is finished.

Archived