LegacyGT.com

Another 2005 LGT with a Cracked Piston...

A while ago it was said that even panel filters could cause AFR issues.

I used to think it was impossible (although others have found the same thing) but now believe that a less restrictive air filter can cause differences.

Less of a pressure drop across the air-filter itself will change the pressure in the pre-turbo intake tract. That could IMO change the MAF readings.

;1963924']"Over Boosting" doesn't cause ring land failures per se, but it can cause sustained knocking, which is one cause of ring land failures. What is the octane level of premium gasoline in Puerto Rico? Other things which might cause sustained knocking include a defective knock sensor and bad gasoline.

Another thing which can cause a ring land failure is hydraulic lock, where you get a lot of fluid in the cylinder. If your #2 injector leaks, it can fill the cylinder with gasoline while the car is parked. If your cylinder head gasket is leaking, it can allow coolant to fill the cylinder while the car is parked. When you start the engine, you crack the ring land and/or damage the conrod or bearing.

In Puerto Rico, the Subaru importer, Trebol Motors in San Juan, makes the warranty, not SOA. Trebol isn't required to offer the same warranties that SOA does, but they might. In any event, US Federal Fair Trade laws and regulations regarding warranties do apply in Puerto Rico.

I don't know why you put any of that aftermarket junk on your car. That stuff improves performance very little, if at all, and makes your warranty case tougher.

Gas is 93 octane... I know and Trebol Motors knows that this kind of failure is not only caused by overboosting. Te problem was that the check engine light was "cleared" at the other dealer in Puerto Rico that sales Subarus but is not authorized to service the brand (which I didn't know). Since there was no check engine history they couldn't determine the cause. Trebol and I got to an agreement, due to the situation, and they will cover labor but I have to cover the parts (around $750)...

I'm not sure if a panel filter from Perrin and a set of Denso irridium spark plugs are considered "junk"... Since they had to be replaced anyways, and cost was pretty much the same, they were installed instead; also Trebol Motors doesn't consider drop-in filters, spark plugs, brake pads, etc. as aftermarket parts that affect the warranty. Anyways, it seems that the cause of the failure won' be revealed afterall...

He doesn't say it's a panel filter, it could be the short ram :confused:

It's a drop-in panel filter...

that sucks but at least its like a half way thing and not all on you.

Also are you planning on getting the 3G iPhone, they are eating up unlocked 1st gen iPhones on ebay for like $400, might wanna look into that.

Archived