LegacyGT.com

Legacy Window Tint, Dot Matrix, and Vinyl

ShadowImg

To all of you who have had the Legacy's windows tinted, a few questions:

1) What type & level of tint was used

2) Did the tint get applied over the dot matrix, and did it bond properly?

3) Was vinyl used to edge, and if not, do you have any seaming?

Ideally if you have any insight into the above and can provide pictures, it would be helpful. I just had my tint done, so to answer my own questions:

1) Suntek Carbon - 45% (35% is the legal limit here, and the normal darkness of our windows brings it down to right at 35% total)

2) It was not applied over the dot matrix

3) Black vinyl applied to outside of window for seam/edging, which missed on one rear window (augh!)

The reason I'm after this, is the world of Window tint seems to be almost equal with the world of ECU tuning. The various people who do it don't seem to like each other, and don't discuss each other's techniques. Everyone seems to have areas where they are good, and areas where they are weak. I don't particularly like the seams and vinyl application on my tint, but the tint itself is flawless/fantastic application, even on the same day it was installed. I'm hoping by comparing various tint applications, we can have good examples to provide to tint shops and get things done better overall by comparing techniques. I'd like to see what others have so I can go back to this shop and discuss adjustments on my rear windows with them. I'll get some pictures of what I've got now in a few days when it fully sets/clears up.

All i know is I have Llumar 20% and it was applied over the dot matrix, no bubbling, looks awesome!

So I went down, and it is indeed applied over the dot matrix -- I was wrong. It just doesn't bond well to it. He pulled the vinyl off the back side windows and showed me how to press it down to make sure it gets a good bond for that. We left it on the back as he said it would be nearly impossible to get the edges bonded cleanly. If yours is, could you post good pictures if you have them?

Still want to see good detailed pictures of tint installs and how they've adhered to the matrix on our cars!

the whole dot matrix thing is kinda screwy. when i tinted the rear windshield on my cobalt SS the guy totally screwed up the dot matrix. when i went back to him to fix it he claimed there is no way to do it perfect because of the dots. after a lot of bitching (on my part) he removed the film and refunded my money. i then took my car to a tint shop suggested by my co-worker. this shop did the rear window perfect, and he claimed the other guy was lazy and didnt want to put in the little extra effort to make it look god.

after trading in the cobalt SS i bought the LGT and tok it straight to the shop for tints. he once again did a perfect job on the tints. so it is possible to do the tints on the matrix without issues but you need to find a shop that takes pride in their work and are willing to put in the extra effort to mke you happy.

The dot matrix, this is the design behind the rear-view mirror? Also, what about the vinyl lines on the back window, these should be removed before applying the tint? Is that part of the whole tinting process, or is this something extra?

Side and rear windows:

35% tint, I think the brand was Madico.

Does not cover the dots.

No edging or seams.

Sunroof:

Dunno the brand, it's clingy vinyl that I got from a local TAP Plastics shop. ~20%.

It goes over the dots in places (I am not proud of the cutting I did) and does not stick there.

No vinyl, no seams.

So, I can see why shops have poor results when the tint covers the dots, and I can see why some shops prefer to cut the tint to say off the dots. Every Subaru I've seen around here has no tint on the dots.

Gonna get my sunroof tinted by a professional this summer. I just didn't want to spend real money on it until I knew if I'd like it (I do, very much).

I took my 08' to a shop to do "300" tint, im guessing its like 30% ish, its very light. I think it was Suntek film, and the guy who did it has been doing tint for over 20yrs, got my car done in 45min or so, and i see no bubbles on anywhere near the dot matrix edges.

• 1 year later...
I waqs reading that metallic tint messes with the antenna reception. I got a quote from a tint shop that uses LLumar tint but it is metallic. Has anyone had any issues with metallic tint?
Nemo me impune lacessit

On the 5EAT, Limo rear, 15% front. No strip on the windshield.

No tan lines. The tint is filed into the edge of the glass.

Charcool? is the brand.

Lee Berbs is the MAN. If in the Tri State area there is no better tint man. I still have not tinted my SpecB because I have not found anyone to do what Lee did here in So Cal.

I waqs reading that metallic tint messes with the antenna reception. I got a quote from a tint shop that uses LLumar tint but it is metallic. Has anyone had any issues with metallic tint?

You want metallic tint! :spin: if not, your windows are going to turn purple guarenteed. The uv rays will mess up the black die in non-metallic tint and it will go bad within a few months. I have not had problems with good tint, as it has not negatively effected reception. Its metallic tint or no tint!

As with the rear defroster lines, i have heard that its best to heat up the defrosters before and while applying tint because it reassures no bubbling. I have not tried this myself yet, rear windows are tricky

Archived