LegacyGT.com

M3 SMG faster than manual?

I just met a guy who has a 2004 M3 with SMG... is the SMG faster than a good driver on a standard manual tranny? I was of the impression that the SMG did shift faster, but I heard someone saying that a standard manual had the potential to beat it.... just curious - (oh, and you think I will be able to take him after stage 1 with stock everything else?) Thanks guys.

Weston

Standard manual has always been tested quicker, LC does not give optimal RPM here in the States where it is tuned less aggressively then in other markets. And second question no, perhaps Stage 2 from a dig but I doubt from a roll.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- In My Time Of Dying ( Plant stopped singing Live after his car accidnet as he believed he was tempting fate by singing it )

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

if smg is anything like the CVT then i would think that the 5spd would be better.

my experience is with the cvt and it seems to have a delay between the physical nudge of the lever and the time it engages.

Maybe SMG is not the same as cvt and if thats the case i apologize for making a complete @$$ of myself.

An 04 M3 has acceleration comparable to the STi, I think 0-60 in 4.7-4.9, 1/4's in the 12's? I think there was a previous thread comparing the Stage 2 LGT with an STi and they were pretty comparable. However, I think the M3 pulls the STi after 80mph or so, where the meaty NA 6 still has a ton of power. My guess is you'll need to do a Stage 2.5 or 3 to keep up with a new M3 (Stage 3 being larger turbo)

if smg is anything like the CVT then i would think that the 5spd would be better.

my experience is with the cvt and it seems to have a delay between the physical nudge of the lever and the time it engages.

Maybe SMG is not the same as cvt and if thats the case i apologize for making a complete @$$ of myself.

No its not, Sequential M Manual Gerbox is the standard M3's 6 speed transimission with an added hyrdralically actuated clutch that is capable of shiting in .08 seconds. So yes Axis it does shift faster then a human can but this still does not make up for the launch were the manual has the definite edge. Once moving though transmission choice makes much less of a difference.

Song of Post- Pink Floyd- The Great Gig In The Sky

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Archived