LegacyGT.com

Jarring Ride: can someone diagnose whats wrong?

SpawnGT

2005 Legacy with 77k miles on the struts, and about 35kmiles on oem Springs, and the other 40k miles on H-techs. When i was driving on the northern state/grand central parkway in NY yesterday i felt like everytime there was a bump in the road, or uneven pavement it felt like the car would seesaw for a second or two after th car would hit the bump, or if one wheel hit the bump it felt and sounded like a hammer was hitting that wheel. whats wrong with my suspension?

hypothetical question...

my car feels rock solid when the road is perfectly flat, it feels like i can swing the wheel left and right a good 20 degrees and the car is driving on rails (like a mini cooper), but on the northern parkway there are sections where the highway ashpalt changes into the material they use for the bridges, and it happens about 5 times in about a 1 mile long stretch, and when the road surface materials change there is a def. "speed bump" that occurs where they meet.

-->when it goes highway/road to bridge surface material; the bridge surface is lower so the car nose dives immeditaly and then the nose shoots back up, and causes the car to seesaw momenterally...on the other hand

--> when it goes back from bridge surface material to highway/road; is when you really CRINGE. the meeting point of these two surfaces is even more like one of those mall speed bumps so you hear a crazy hammering thud and feels like my headunit is going to shoot out, and my subwoofer is going to rip off its mounts and my passengers usually yelp that something went wrong like a rim ripped off or a tire blew, or my suspension exploded.

(for any NY-ers out there im talking about right after the cross island parkway heading to queens(westbound), and right before the clearview expressway. and the same occurs going eastbound, but in my opinion its worse westbound)

Yea thats an understatment.

G.T.Subie...i see your location, i would assume u are a NJ or NY guy as well? Where at?

And If so, may i ask what your current suspension set up is?

I'm in Hoboken and drive some terrible roads I went with the JDM GT (USDM Spec-b)struts with wagon springs. The have been great and a major improvement all around.

The ride height is about stock maybe a couple mm lower.

Denial is your best friend

hypothetical question...

my car feels rock solid when the road is perfectly flat, it feels like i can swing the wheel left and right a good 20 degrees and the car is driving on rails (like a mini cooper), but on the northern parkway there are sections where the highway ashpalt changes into the material they use for the bridges, and it happens about 5 times in about a 1 mile long stretch, and when the road surface materials change there is a def. "speed bump" that occurs where they meet.

-->when it goes highway/road to bridge surface material; the bridge surface is lower so the car nose dives immeditaly and then the nose shoots back up, and causes the car to seesaw momenterally...on the other hand

--> when it goes back from bridge surface material to highway/road; is when you really CRINGE. the meeting point of these two surfaces is even more like one of those mall speed bumps so you hear a crazy hammering thud and feels like my headunit is going to shoot out, and my subwoofer is going to rip off its mounts and my passengers usually yelp that something went wrong like a rim ripped off or a tire blew, or my suspension exploded.

(for any NY-ers out there im talking about right after the cross island parkway heading to queens(westbound), and right before the clearview expressway. and the same occurs going eastbound, but in my opinion its worse westbound)

To put this post in perspective, you need to understand what "shocks" actually do. Shock is actually a poor name as they don't actually do any shock absorption, that's the springs job, but actually dampen the springs movement.

If you hit a bump, the tire is going to pushed up into the wheel well as the spring is compressed, if there is no dampening, the spring will fire the wheel back down into the pavement (picture compressing a small spring in your fingers and then let go) and the spring will then oscillate or seesaw until it returns back to it's normal state, resulting in the bouncing ride your describing. The OE dampers will wear with time, especially if matched with stiffer, more aggressive springs, and you will get the ride you are describing.

A new set of dampers will correct the problem and most aftermarket units are designed to work with stiffer aftermarket springs and will hold up longer than a new set of OE units. I don't have any experience with aftermarket setups for Legacies but Koni is a pretty popular brand.

Archived