LegacyGT.com

DIY Cold Air Intake

Now that's the right way to do it. I assume you put in an upgraded panel filter to go with it?

This next guy too, it's a serial de-aspirator!

yeah, a K&N. almost went with the avo though...

theres some threads on here, and some guys at the track, that make me reconsider all my turbine envy:lol:

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

I have a feeling that leaving the (anti-)resonance chamber, midway along the intake, is a Good Thing for low-end torque.

And that decreasing intake restriction is a Good Thing, mostly for top end power, maybe for low-end torque.

And that removing the OEM cold air intake is a Bad Thing, but might not be a problem if traffic allows you to keep moving.

OTOH, removing the airbox & its chamber might be a Bad Thing as far as confusing the MAF.

IOW, keep us posted. Especially if you do a dyno run.

OBTW - might post this on the normally-aspirated forum.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I have a feeling that leaving the (anti-)resonance chamber, midway along the intake, is a Good Thing for low-end torque.

And that decreasing intake restriction is a Good Thing, mostly for top end power, maybe for low-end torque.

And that removing the OEM cold air intake is a Bad Thing, but might not be a problem if traffic allows you to keep moving.

OTOH, removing the airbox & its chamber might be a Bad Thing as far as confusing the MAF.

IOW, keep us posted. Especially if you do a dyno run.

OBTW - might post this on the normally-aspirated forum.

I've been driving alot lately, and haven't noticed anything fishy about the MAF readings, seems all good there. BUT, i just bought a CAI from a kid with a WRX that i know will fit, it just looks like it needs to be turned upside down(blame my engineering background) so this will be gone by the end of the weed from my car and will post new pics of the new intake and the new cone i'm gonna go out shopping for today. my gas mileage has gone up 1-2 mpg even though i'm driving it harder than i used to and she wholeshots like a pro. the AEM shouldn't hurt anymore and am toying with the idea of making my own shroud to put where the stock box is to make sure it's only sucking clean air directed in from where i took the panels out where my nonexistant foglights go.

... if i only had a lightwieght crank pulley... :D

I've been driving alot lately, and haven't noticed anything fishy about the MAF readings, seems all good there. BUT, i just bought a CAI from a kid with a WRX that i know will fit, it just looks like it needs to be turned upside down(blame my engineering background) so this will be gone by the end of the weed from my car and will post new pics of the new intake and the new cone i'm gonna go out shopping for today. my gas mileage has gone up 1-2 mpg even though i'm driving it harder than i used to and she wholeshots like a pro. the AEM shouldn't hurt anymore and am toying with the idea of making my own shroud to put where the stock box is to make sure it's only sucking clean air directed in from where i took the panels out where my nonexistant foglights go.

At any rate, keep us posted on how the CAI works out. I know there are Impreza CAIs that are compatible with our N/As, but I havent gotten a straight answer. What year is your Legacy?

Amen to that. The stock airbox is more than sufficient for the majority of LGT pilots.

I'd never, ever let my car breath thru one of those foam pieces. Even the high dollar HKS 'green mushroom of death' and similar parts from other reputable manufacturers start coming apart after awhile. You don't want to ingest that.

stock air box is good to stage2 and then some if you replace the turbo inlet and the post MAF corrugated elbow with silicon pipes... not to mention the stock airbox has greater heat resistance and less potential for heat soak since its a polymer.

i mean, yah its an NA car, but still... factory parts were all designed witha very specific purpose... ie, not destroying your car. i could see trying to engineer something group up if you were doing a crazy 1 off car.. but this kind fo thing really doesnt make sense to me.

i would agree that this is pretty much a disaster.

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

We have the answer!! Yes, when the weed is gone the "creativity" it took to fab this CAI up will also be gone and you'll come to your senses and put the stock airbox back on minus the silencer.:p Just kidding, good write-up, very creative and to all the "experts" offering up their 1.5 cents that took this post as a "YOU must try this", relax. He wants "sound" and maybe he'll get a little power, but he aint gonna blow up his turbo!;)

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

We have the answer!! Yes, when the weed is gone the "creativity" it took to fab this CAI up will also be gone and you'll come to your senses and put the stock airbox back on minus the silencer.:p Just kidding, good write-up, very creative and to all the "experts" offering up their 1.5 cents that took this post as a "YOU must try this", relax. He wants "sound" and maybe he'll get a little power, but he aint gonna blow up his turbo!;)

can't blow up what you don't have.

haha that's mad bootleg but could work

Does any body know how to take the left front panel off a legacy gt 98?

i almost got mine off but then realized i would have to take off the front bumper. I want to remove the silencer and have the intake come in from where that is.

Archived