LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT 5eat Tranny Cooler Decision

Fri501pm25

Need in picking out a tranny cooler for my 05 LGT 5eat tranny. Either the Hayden 1677 or the Long Tru-Cool LPD Cooler Medium Kit SR4588.....dont care about the price difference just wana know if one brand is better than the other and if anyone had either or and how it had effected the cars performance...thanks to all and looking foward to responses......

I'm gonna quote myself rather than re-write everything

If you live in a climate that gets cold [not your case in Cali, but just writing this so others can see], I'd get a TruCool because it has a pressure drop system. What this means is, when the tranny fluid is really cold, it won't circulate it through the radiator. As it warms up, it starts routing it through the radiator more and more. Here in Nebraska we get some pretty freakin' cold days in the winter, I'd hate for the thing to route the fluids no matter what.

Why would you buy a medium kit??? Think about it.... The kit cost 50 bucks, getting anything smaller then the max-fit is like doing a half-ass job. Buy the biggest kit that fits like the tru-cool 4454 and keep your fluids cooler.

Oh....I forgot that the 4544 is the medium kit:spin: But its the biggest fitting tru-cool for our car without doing any modding. I think the 4588 is rated as heavy duty? you might have fitment issues with that one:confused:

I just read your first post wrong, some other members had bought smaller coolers and after the fact wished they went with the bigger one.

good luck, your tranny will thank you.

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread, I'm getting a tranny cooler and considering the Hayden 678. Its a few bucks more and considered heavy duty based on a great installation guide I found here. I'm assuming it will fit in my '03 JDM GT, and it makes sense (to me) since I live a warmer climate and spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic. Is there any downside to getting the bigger Hayden? Anybody using it?

I also noticed that the cooler apparently straps on to the radiator. I've seen some articles where there are concerns about surface-to-surface heat transfer between the cooler and radiator thereby reducing the effeciency of the cooler. Any thoughts on this? Anybody shares that perspective? Thanks.

Archived